Why Twitter Works

Image via Naldz Graphics

My head is spinning after The Creative Connection and I have so many ideas to share. I didn’t know where to begin. So I decided to post about Twitter. I know there are people out there that “get it” and others that don’t.

The short end of it is, Twitter is a way to connect. I “met” some of my favorite friends online through Twitter. While at TCC, Jess told of how we became friends with Gussy- I was following her on Twitter and she said “I am looking for a cute pair of earrings.” I tweeted back that Jess has a cute shop with adorable earrings. She clicked on the link and ordered them. She loved them. She tweeted and posted about them. The day she posted about them, Jess said she got 15 sales immediately (I think….right Jess?). Since then we have become friends and I now love her all the more after spending 5 days with her. But it all started with under 140 characters.
Twitter is great for business- if you have a business, I’m here to tell you it’s a must. Even if you don’t have a business, it’s a way to connect with other bloggers, artists, people in general that you admire.

Things to consider:
*Really think about your handle. It should be simple and obvious. I use @30daysblog because 30days was taken. Jess uses @allorahandmade. Gussy uses @GussySews. Lindsey uses @thepleatedpoppy. Lisa Leonard uses @lisaleonard. See a theme here? Don’t do MynameisMiqueandIlovecrafts. Short and simple is a must.
*You have to be consistent. If you tweet once a day or once a week, chances are people have no idea that you even exist.
*Takes a bit to get the feel of it. But don’t give up.

A few other posts about Twitter:
Blackburg Belle’s Social Media series starting today
Tip Junkie’s How to Twitter Part 1 and 2
Rock on Mommie’s Twitter Do’s and Don’ts

How do you feel about Twitter?
Do you get it?
Do you not? If not, why?

post signature

Comments

1. Suzanne says

I was one of the Twitter haters for a looong time – I mean, who cares what Kim Kardashian had for breakfast? – but am now a believer. You make one connection, which leads to another, which leads to twenty more and before you know it you follow a link in a tweet, submit an essay, win a contest and suddenly you're AT The Creative Connection meeting people like Lisa and Gussy and Amy from Little Alouette.

Trust me, these things happen.

2. Life With the Crazies says

I'll be honest. I don't get it. I'm not that interesting, and I don't want to be strapped to my phone or computer constantly updated or keeping up to date on other people's stuff. I would love to "get connected", but really, the three dimentional people (i.e. my kids) need more of me right now.

3. meganluvsjewels says

Thanks for a great post Mique! I completely agree with you about Twitter! I'm so grateful for all the people I have "met." Without Twitter, my business and new friendships wouldn't not be as amazing as they are today!

4. twolittletots says

Thanks for this great post on Twitter. I am not on it and I don't know if I will 'get it'. You have really good points and I should get on it…because I know it would be huge for Two Little Tots…I am making it a goal…to do it soon! I

5. Mandy [Mandy's Yellow Corner] says

Too funny… I actually just wrote a blog post on Friday! I've had my twitter account for several months, but I've had a hard time getting the hang of it. My readers left some helpful comments that have helped me see its value, and this post totally helped too! And, with viewing it as a way to actually connect and chat with my blog friends, I already see a huge difference and ENJOY it for the first time! :]

6. Tasha says

I just have this fear that if I start into twitter I will become as obsessed as I do with blogging. At some point where do we draw the line? But, seriously, this does make sense. I guess I am just scared of it. Silly, but true.

7. purejoy says

i'm a tweeter, and i'm about to follow you. i've heard some amazing twitter stories and a few of my own that just ended with tears (of comfort) and mended hearts. there are sweet compassionate twittererers.
    @kimberwidmer

8. The Bonjour Four says

i so don't get it.. i keep trying though. i don't know why it's been so hard for me to get. haha