- 1 package of devil's food cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup of shortening
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- ½ stick of butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. peppermint (not mint)
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- Mix until smooth.
- Mix together.
- The dough will be pretty stiff-
- it's supposed to be that way.
- Roll into balls and put on baking sheet.
- Make them little balls (like 1").
- They cook more evenly that way.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Immediately transfer to a cooling rack.
- When cookies are cool, frost them and then
- sandwich them like an Oreo.
- This will only make about 12 cookies total
- depending on how big you make them.
omit the peppermint and add another tsp of vanilla instead.
For you non-chocolate fans out there: (I am not a chocolate fan- can we still be friends?) I decided to make a vanilla version. Instead of using devil’s food cake, I used a yellow cake mix. They taste sorta similar to Trader Joe’s vanilla jo jo’s.
While the cookies were baking, I put my preschooler to work:
Unwrapping candy canes and smashing them in a sandwich baggie.
He took his job very seriously (tongue out= hard work).
I then dipped the homemade oreos
into the crushed candy canes.