All I really need to know I learned from blog conferences….

Remember years ago when the lists came out for “All I really need to know I learned from…..__________(fill in the blank)?”  After returning from Bloggy Boot Camp in San Diego this weekend, I thought I’d share my take:

All I really need to know I learned
from blog conferences…..

• Mind your p’s and q’s.
    One of my mom’s favorite sayings growing up (Hi Mom! Yes, you were right).  Being polite and gracious goes a long way.  Introduce yourself, shake hands (hug if you are a hugger).  Simple and easy to do.
    Someone also posted the other day (and I whole-heartedly agree with), to not pretend that you know who someone is if you have no clue who they are.  If you don’t know them, it is ok.  Just let them know that you look forward to getting to know them and their blog.
  • It’s ok to color outside of the lines (aka be different!).
    As craft bloggers, I think this is in our blood.  We are constantly thinking of new ideas and looking for a way to “color outside the lines.”   This comes in really handy at a blog conference.  The one way that I try to stand out is with my business cards:

• Strive to keep learning.
    Blog conferences are based on this premise.  There is always something new to learn.  Those at the top of their game are constantly learning more and doing more.  The information given at conferences can be overwhelming.  There’s just so much!  Take in all the information that you can and apply it as you can.  If you did everything you learned all at once, you’d need to take a three day nap.  Do it at your own pace. But the important thing is that you keep learning and growing instead of staying stagnant.
  • You can accomplish anything you want if you set your mind to it.
    Bloggers (and blog conferences) are the ultimate example of this.  Who would’ve thought five or ten years ago that there would be people with thousands of followers, getting unique opportunities and having a voice online?  Blogs provide a way to accomplish all kinds of crazy, exciting dreams.  Just go for it!
    It doesn’t matter if you are just starting out as a blogger or if you are a blog veteran, set goals that you can work towards.  Then hit the ground running and make those goals and dreams happen.
  • Don’t compare yourself to others
    To be honest, this is one that I’ve struggled with.  With so many blogs out there, it’s hard to not fall into the “She’s been blogging for ______ amount of time and has ______ x’s more readers than I do….” etc, etc.  It is great to set goals and look up to people, but when it turns into a competition and comparing yourself, negativity seeps in nothing good comes from that.  Try hard to focus on what you have to offer instead of being down on what you don’t have.
  • Life is so rich surrounded by people you love.
    It’s amazing to me that some of my close friends are bloggers I’ve met online over the years.  Blogging conferences have launched some of the friendships I’ve made online to deeply rooted friends.  They are my people.  They get this side of my life.  They understand and have similar goals to mine.   So far, I have only had amazingly positive experiences meeting people in real life.

With my girls:
Lisa Me Lindsey

• Hands down the biggest thing: Be yourself.
    I know this is often easier said than done, especially in a new environment like a blog conference.  But ultimately people are attracted to realness.  Don’t try to be someone you are not.  People will love you for YOU.  I promise!! One of my favorite quotes is:
    “Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.” ~Judy Garland

P.s. HAVE FUN!!!

Comments

• Mique says

Love you Gus Gus- I feel the same. Would’ve been so fun to have you there. Looking forward to September and a play date! xoxoxoxoxoxoxo Miq

• Mique says

Thanks Heather!! Knew I had to do a little something different with my business cards because you get so many! ;) (made them for Blissdom)

1. Mique says

Lauren you definitely have the right idea- do it for you and because you love it. I know that blog conferences are not for everyone. But I’m glad that I’ve had the chance to attend a few!! Keep doing what you’re doing. xo

What a GREAT post Mique!
    I have HOPES of venturing out from behind this computer into the BIG world of blog conferences!
    Hoping to attend my first conference in September.
    This will be a HUGE deal for me.
    Very much a CHALLENGE…but something I so want to do!
    Thanks for the encouragement and INSPIRATION!
    Happy day!
    Teresa
    xo

• Mique says

Teresa you will have a BLAST at TCC. You will meet so many fun people and you are just sooooo positive it’s impossible not to fall in love with you! Not sure that I’ll be there….but can’t wait to meet you some day. xoxo!

We love how you so perfectly summed up the day!! ****Try hard to focus on what you have to offer instead of being down on what you don’t have. ***** Absolutely!!!!! Could not agree more! Amy & Bri

• Mique says

Krystina- it used to be in my blog footer when I was on blogger!! Great minds think alike. ;)
      Although QBM is not a “conference” per say, it is similar. I know you’ll have fun and walk away encouraged, supported and inspired!!! xoxoxo

Well said! And I LOVE your business card – the pencil is just the right size for my son! I always admire people who are crafty. I look forward to reading more of your blog.

• Mique says

Thank you so much Sandy- I am a big fan of your blog. Thanks for the comment & retweet! xo

Such a great post, although all this talk of blogging conferences makes me kinda sad there’s not more of a blogging community here in the UK, or if there is I haven’t found it! Sometimes it feels like blogging is my ‘dirty little secret’! LOL

• Mique says

I would say you should start one Amanda, but I know that they are a ton of work! :)
      I love that it’s your “dirty little secret!” Ha!!

5. Lynn Nelson says

Hi Mique ~ Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am a newbie blogger interested in attending the
    Bloggy Boot Camp in Chicago later this summer. I would appreciate any insight on your experience.

Thanks so much :)
    <3 30 Days!

Thanks for the tips! I’m going to my first blog conference in a few weeks, so the timing was perfect! I had heard from a few blogs about your awesome business cards. They are as cute as I heard!!

Rebecca@RootsAndWingsCo

Umm, okay, so I’m having a total meltdown moment here. I think we were at the same table at some point. The pencil. Oh, the pencil. The pencil that saved me when I lost my pen. I guess I didn’t notice at the time, and it was later on that one of the speakers (or maybe it was Tiffany) said something about you and you were standing at the back of the room and I wanted to leap over the tables and hug you and then forgot to find you afterward, and NOW I’m totally kicking myself that I didn’t pay more attention when you were sitting RIGHT THERE at the SAME TABLE. Gah!

• Mique says

Tanya- you are so funny! (and cute) Yes, I was sitting at the same lunch table but on the other side. I would’ve loved the opportunity to chat with you! Tiffany mentioned me at the end because I co-own the Queen Bee Market (handmade market in San Diego) and there were business cards with bee charms in one of the swag bags. Love her!
      Hopefully we’ll get the chance to connect more online and in person. Now you know where to find me. ;) xoxo

• Mique says

Oh my goodness- I just spelled your name wrong!! TONYA- so sorry. I’m sensitive to misspelling names (with a name like MIQUE, how could I not be?). Sorry about that!! xoxo, Mique

• Mique says

Thanks Julie- it was a great day. Would’ve been fun to have you there (of course!). After this weekend I would say the same- wish I could attend them all. xo, Miq

• Mique says

Thanks A- I love that quote. Need to remind myself daily!
      Hope you feel all better asap! xo, M

my first one and what I learned is that there are lots of wonderful ladies out there with lots of love to share. Thanks for sharing yours.

• Mique says

Michelle- it was such a great day! It was nice to meet you. I loved Ashley’s talk- I’m sure you are one proud momma as you should be! xo

I signed up to go to the Creative Estates Conference next month, can’t wait! We must be on the same wavelength cause I ordered pens with my blog address a couple of weeks ago and I’m crossing my fingers they get here in time. We need to hook up at one of these conferences so you can show me the ropes! What is the next one you’re attending?

thanks for sharing your tips Mique . I appreciate you gals that can go to these conferences and sharing with the little guys what you learned.
    I am still struggling with just being me. and not getting jealous about what others bloggers have accomplished in one year!
    thanks for the extra push to be me!

11. Bethany says

Great wrap-up post! I went to BBC Austin last year and can’t wait to got to Atlanta this year. BTW cutest business cards EVER!

Hi! Thanks for all this info!! I’m new to blogger and I really needed this! I need almost a week (or more) to read and learn all of these tips, but I must try!! Thanks again!