I spent the weekend away (here) reuniting with some friends and making new ones. It was a dream come true and worth every lousy bounce in paper-airplane-like ride to and from the middle of the country. More on that later…. but the trip got me thinking about things people might not know about me from reading my blog.
Inspired by this post from Ashley and US magazine, here are 25 things you might not know about me:
1. I’m not a list maker. I also contradict myself sometimes.
2. I got married at 20. Became a mom at 22. I thought I was mature. Pfffffffft. But it has definitely shaped who I am today.
3. I am an over analyzer to a fault. It’s hard for me to turn off my brain and just go with the flow.
4. I slept walk (or is it sleep walked? hmmm….) a lot as a child. I also scared my Mom pretty good a few times while sleep walking.
5. I took Spanish from 4th grade until I was in college. I can still understand some but I’m terrified of speaking it.
6. I had several experiences in my life with people who have special needs. Including a psychology class in high school working with our special education classes, was a mailroom employee with two awesome people who happened to have Down syndrome and I’m 99% sure Asperger’s (although I had no idea what that was at the time), and was a teacher’s aide for two boys who had Down syndrome when Josh and I were first married. Never did I ever think I would be a special needs mom. But I feel like I was being prepared, even with these little snippets.
7. Buying and making gifts is one of my absolute favorite things to do. Nothing makes me happier than finding (or making) the perfect thing for someone.
8. I love a challenge and to be able to prove people wrong. Because of this, I have done a 1/2 marathon, sprint triathlon and am now doing CrossFit. I also took Hip Hop as an adult and love Zumba. Running a marathon is on my bucket list too.
9. I don’t like shopping with people. I want to and I think I used to. But the older I get, the more I like to be alone to go at my own pace and to make decisions by myself.
10. Music has a big impact on my life. I have everything from Dave Matthew’s Band, Switchfoot and Jack Johnson to Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars, Maroon 5 and then Mindy Gledhill, Ingrid Michaelson, and Sara Bareilles. The one type I have a hard time listening to is country. Sorry country fans!
11. Details mean everything to me. This helps big time with the Queen Bee Market.
12. If I find something I like on a menu, I rarely stray from that choice. It bugs Josh and he tries to get to me to try new things but when I do, I’m usually disappointed wishing I had gone with what I already love. My favorite meal is from a local restaurant- Country French Chicken with broccoli, mashed potatoes and bread with tapenade. I could eat it for every meal. Oh with cheesecake for dessert. But I recently started eating Paleo….and long gone is my favorite meal.
13. I’m 20 credits shy of my college degree. I’m determined to finish. I’d love to go back and do graphic design and advertising.
14. I have specific types of socks I like to wear when traveling. Especially when I go on car trips.
15. My Mom made me learn how to French braid my own hair by the time I was 10. I became the crazy hair braider on bus rides for field hockey games and swim meets in high school.
16. I am a big baseball fan. Always have been but am even more now that I have a son who plays competitive baseball.
17. New Girl and Parenthood are my favorite tv shows. Vampire Diaries is my guilty pleasure.
18. I have always gone to bed late because according to my Mom, I hate missing out on things. She’s probably right.
19. I like thrift shopping and antiquing.
20. Camping is by far my least favorite type of “vacation.” Give me a book on a beach and I’m good for days. That’s probably why Kauai is my favorite place on Earth.
21. I used to be able to fit my fist in my mouth. Haven’t tried in awhile.
22. I don’t like massages. I can’t turn my brain off enough to relax. Refer to # 3.
23. The Babysitter’s Club got me hooked on reading when I was in 5th grade.
24. I have been known to fall asleep mid sentence when I’m over tired.
25. I broke my arm when I was eight and freaked out because I thought they were going to have to amputate it. It was an ugly break.
Tag you’re it- share something about yourself that I might not know.