We planted blueberry bushes in our backyard for the first time last year so this summer is the first time I have been able to step out into my backyard and pick blueberries! So fun! The birds got most of one bush but we still have another bush full. I love going out first thing in the morning and picking a handful to add to a bowl of cereal or yogurt or throw into a green smoothie.
I was in the mood for a little sweet bread the other day and had some oranges on the counter that needed to be used so orange bread was the obvious answer. Then I decided that a handful of blueberries in that orange bread would be just the right touch. You know what? I was right – orange blueberry bread is a match made in heaven.
Before removing the bread from the pan, while it is still warm you spoon a glaze of sugar and orange juice over the top for even more orange goodness.
This bread is amazingly moist and just the right amount of sweet and just the right amount of orange
The orange bread stands perfectly well on it’s own but the addition of the blueberries gives it even more flavor and fun!
I always give the blueberries a dusting of flour before putting them into the batter so they don’t all sink to the bottom. Sometimes it works better than others and it worked fairly well this time!!
For some more yummy breads check out these recipes:
- 1/2 C butter
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- rind of 1 orange
- juice of 1 orange plus extra water if needed to make 1/2 C
- 2 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C blueberries
- juice of one orange
- 1/4 C sugar
- Mix together butter, sugar and eggs.
- Stir in rind and juice.
- Add in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix until combined and moistened.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean
- Combine juice and sugar in a small pan. Heat to dissolve sugar.
- Pour glaze over top of hot loaf.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan.