We have been on a bit of a quinoa kick at our house lately. Quinoa is an ancient seed but has just recently become popular in the culinary world. It is an amazing source of protein and so versatile. It is a nice healthy alternative to pasta or white rice. Quinoa might not be the most photogenic food but adds a lovely texture to a dish and is so good for you. Quinoa is easy to prepare – it is cooked just like rice. Two cups of water to one cup of quinoa. It can be made on top of the stove or in your rice cooker. After it has cooked just fluff it up with a fork and then you are ready to add in whatever you’d like. We were in a very colorful mood when we put this dish together. I used a combination of red cabbage, carrots, red onion, red pepper, green onions and cilantro. So pretty. The dressing was a Thai peanut dressing with peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, sesame oil, and olive oil . Delicious. I like to add the dressing a bit before serving so that the quinoa has a chance to absorb the flavors from the dressing. I also added a handful of cashews to this salad. The first time I made it I used peanuts which were just as good. The nuts add even more crunch to the salad. If you wanted a little heartier fare you could add some shredded chicken to the dish too.
Quinoa holds up well in the refrigerator and this salad was just as good, if not better, the next day!
- 1 C uncooked quinoa
- 1 C shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 C shredded carrots
- 1/3 C chopped cilantro
- 1/4 C green onions, diced
- 1/2 C cashews or peanuts
- 1/4 C natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Cook quinoa in a medium pan. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add quinoa, stir and cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Cool.
- Place peanut butter and honey in a microwavable bowl and heat for about 25 seconds.
- Add in ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, and oils. Stir until smooth.
- Add dressing to quinoa to taste.
- Add in remaining ingredients.
- Garnish with nuts
- Chill or serve at room temperature
Recipe adapted from Ambitious Kitchen