Honestly nothing tastes as good to me on a cold winter day as soup does. I could eat bowl after bowl after bowl. I especially love Broccoli Cheddar Soup. While broccoli isn’t my favorite vegetable (though I don’t mind it… just don’t love it), but in soup with cheese? I’m a goner!
I got this recipe over ten years ago. It’s creamy, tasty and easy to make. Put it in a bread bowl and it’s even dreamier!
You can have this soup done in under a half an hour, from start to finish.
- 2 bunches (approx. 1 lb) fresh broccoli
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ¾ c. butter
- ½ c. flour
- 4 c. milk
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 2 c. grated cheddar cheese
- Cook broccoli just until tender. Do not overcook.
- Drain and cut into small pieces- set aside.
- Saute chopped onion in the ¼ c. butter until tender- set aside.
- In a large saucepan or soup pot prepare white sauce- melt ½ c butter over medium heat, then stir in flour until well blended.
- Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth and salt.
- Stir constantly until mix reaches a boil.
- Cook 1-2 mins., until thickened.
- Add broccoli and onion.
- Stir in cheese.
- Cook over medium heat, avoiding bringing it to a boil.
- Serve immediately or keep warm over low heat. Makes 6-8 servings.
- For an added bonus, serve in bread bowls - yum!
What is your favorite kind of soup?
You will love these variations: