Hello my friends! With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I’m here to share a fun, festive dessert for two with you. This sweet little parfait boasts rich homemade pudding, fresh raspberries, creamy whipped cream and fluffy angel food cake.
Did I lose you at pudding? Some people are scared to make pudding from scratch, but let me reassure you…it’s so simple! AND this recipe doesn’t contain eggs, which are subject to curdling, so it really is fool-proof.
Let’s start with the pudding…
Place 1/2 cup sugar, 3/4 cup dark chocolate morsels, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1 cup of milk (I use 2%) in saucepan.
Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened (about 5-7 minutes).
Once the pudding is thick, remove from heat and add vanilla.
Pour into bowl and cover with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or up to 3 days.
To assemble the parfaits, slice store-bought angel food cake thinly and cut out 10 pieces with a heart-shaped cookie cutter. This is completely optional. Alternatively, you can cut into cubes.
Layer 1/4 – 1/2 cup pudding, 2-3 cake hearts, 1/8 cup raspberries and whipped cream into a glass. Repeat. Use the last cake heart for the top as garnish. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
There’s something about chocolate and raspberries that screams Valentines, don’t ya think?
Happy Valentine’s Day!
For more recipes, check out my blog. You can also catch up with me on Facebook and Pinterest. I’d love to connect with you!
- ½ c. sugar
- ¾ c. dark chocolate morsels
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 c. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 store-bought angel food cake loaf, thinly sliced
- ½ c. fresh raspberries
- Place sugar, chocolate, cornstarch, salt and milk in a saucepan and cook on medium-low heat, whisking constantly.
- Once thick, about 5-7 minutes, remove from heat and whisk in vanilla.
- Pour pudding into a bowl and cover directly with plastic wrap to prevent a "skin" from forming.
- To cool, refrigerate for 2-3 hours or up to 3 days. Pudding can be served warm as well.
- Using a heart-shaped cutter, cut thinly sliced angel food cake into 8-10 hearts or other desired shape.
- To assemble parfaits, place ¼ cup pudding into a martini glass. Top with 2-3 cake hearts, whipped cream and 5-6 raspberries. Repeat. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and one raspberry. If there are extra cake hearts, you can garnish with cake as well.