I used to eat this casserole at a friend’s house growing up and I loved it! So now that I’m all grown up and have a family of my own, it’s something I wanted to make for my family. However, I wanted to clean it up a bit so I substituted the condensed soup and beef for healthier, leaner options. The kids love this and it’s super easy to put together.
Start with 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into pieces. Saute in a Tablespoon of olive oil.
Season with garlic salt. As soon as the chicken is cooked through, remove from heat.
In a small bowl, mix 1 cup of light sour cream with 1/3 cup of milk.
Pour sour cream mixture and 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese in with the chicken; mix well.
Pour into an 8×8 baking dish.
Top with a single layer of tater tots and add remaining 1/4 cup cheese on top of tots.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until tots are golden brown and chicken mixture is bubbling.
This recipe has everything…quick, easy and kid-friendly!
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- garlic salt to taste
- 1 c. sour cream
- ⅓ c. milk
- 1.5-2 lbs. frozen tater tots
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream and milk together. Set aside.
- Saute chicken in 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Season with garlic salt.
- Pour sour cream mixture and ¾ cup of cheese over chicken. Mix well.
- Add a single layer of frozen tater tots over the creamy chicken mixture. Top with remaining ¼ cup cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.