I have entered the “my kids eat everything all day long” phase. Well I did awhile ago. They are teens and a tween. They are never not starving. I’m always on the hunt for something to make that is easy and tastes good, that will get their 2 thumbs up. Recently I bought frozen chimichangas at the store. They are quick and expensive. But I thought I could make some that would taste better and not be full of all the junk. So I did. May I present – make ahead freezer Baked Beef Chimichangas? Yum.
These are so ridiculously easy to put together. You don’t need many ingredients and it’s a pretty good base to use and substitute in your favorites. If you want to add chicken instead of beef, go for it!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1½ c. shredded cheese (cheddar, Mexican, jack, etc)
- 1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
- ½ cup salsa (homemade can be used- I just used premade store bought)
- 12 flour tortillas
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Saute onion and add ground beef in a skillet.
- Cook until no longer pink. (approx 7-10 mins)
- Take off heat and drain.
- Stir in refried beans, salsa and cheese after cool for a minute.
- Melt butter and brush on tortillas, both sides. Wax paper can be used for less mess.
- Spoon about ¼ c. of beef mix into the center of the tortilla.
- Fold sides over tortilla, like a burrito.
- Place on baking sheet, seam side down.
- Make sure to space them out so they are not touching.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Optional- sprinkle with additional cheese and return to oven to melt cheese. (watch closely to avoid burning them)
- Serve with favorite toppings -
- Sour cream, lettuce, olives, additional cheese, tomatoes, guacamole, etc.
When I made these I put some in the oven right away. But I wanted to have some on hand for leftovers too. I wrapped some up in tin foil and put them in a freezer bag. They were not baked before putting into the freezer. Because of that, they will need to be either thawed and baked. Or baked for longer if still frozen.
I am happy to say that my 9 year old exclaimed this his new favorite meal. He said “Mom it tops Dr. Pepper Chicken and you know how much I love that!!” He’s the baker/chef in our house so can be pretty particular sometimes. He’ll tell me something needs “a little garlic” or “it tastes great but I think it needs…________” With this one, he was in heaven from bite one. Yay!