I struggle with side dishes. Am I alone or do you have the same issue? Other than salad or bread, I’m stumped for what side to pair with what dish. My Mom made a simple but super good potato salad growing up. It’s the one that I now make for my family. It’s usually in the summer to go to a barbecue or something like that.
- 5-6 medium potatoes (brown or red)
- 2 eggs, hard boiled
- ¼ c. sweet relish
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small can sliced olives
- ½ green pepper, chopped (optional)
- ½ c. mayo
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 2 green onions (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes with skins on until soft. Approximately 45 mins. Drain.
- Cool potatoes for about an hour. Peel.
- Boil eggs for approx 12 minutes.
- Cute potatoes and eggs.
- Mix in all other ingredients.
- Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
Note: You could lighten this up using low-fat or light mayonnaise. You can also omit olives if your family members don’t like them.
I love that the recipes that my Mom made and I loved, I am now making for my family. I’ve added some from Josh’s side too. Our kids kind of get the best of both worlds- some from my side, some from his side. Here are other family favorites that have been passed down:
Birchermuesli (Swiss Fruit Salad)