I’ve seen variations of this taco salad floating around and recently I was just craving it. My Mom made this version for us growing up and I loved it. I called her to make sure that I remembered the ingredients correctly. Everyone in my family approved even though they normally don’t love salads as the main dish for dinner. Winner!
- approx 8 c. of romaine or iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey, browned
- package of taco seasoning
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1½ c shredded cheese (more if you want it extra cheesy)
- 2 cups of Fritos
- 1 small can sliced olives (optional)
- 1 small bottle Catalina Dressing
- In a skillet, brown beef or turkey and drain. Set aside and cool while preparing the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, grated cheese, and olives.
- Prior to serving, add cooked ground beef /turkey and corn chips.
- Combine with other ingredients.
- Drizzle salad dressing over salad mix and toss salad until the desired amount of dressing is used.
I love being able to make the meals I grew up on for my family and having them equally love them as much as I did. It doesn’t always happen. Boo! Sometimes they don’t love what I prepare.
There are lots of ways you could prepare this salad. You can add in avocado, tomatoes, green onions if you want. You can omit the sliced olives if they aren’t your thing. Do what your family loves!
Make sure to visit my index for over 100 recipes! And some of our other family favorites:
Make sure to check out:
Over 25 Make Ahead Meals with Tips and Recipes