You’ll love these easy peasy creamed peas as a side dish!
I usually post desserts or simple main dishes but I’m switching things up with a side dish. They are the hardest for me. I feel good when I get dinner on the table at the same time every night. And let’s get real- that doesn’t happen always. But when I am really on top of my game, I have a good side to go along with the main dish. These simple creamed peas are the perfect thing.
My Mom made creamed peas growing up and I loved loved loved loved them so much. She didn’t make them very often so it was a treat when we had them with dinner.
If you like this recipe, you’ll like these too:
Creamed Peas Recipe
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- ⅔ c. water
- dash of salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 c. milk (or ⅓ c. heavy cream)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- Heat peas in a saucepan with water and salt according to package directions.
- While peas cook, melt butter in a pan.
- Slowly stir in flour and gradually whisk in milk.
- Stir in sugar.
- When roux bubbles, remove from heat and fold mixture into peas.
- Sprinkle with black pepper as desired.
- Serve immediately.
What about you- what do you make for side dishes?