How to Host a Toy Swap

Summer is winding down, but it’s not quite over yet. And while I’m doing my best to savor these last few weeks before my oldest heads off to preschool for four entire mornings every single week (!!!), I’m also teetering on the edge of total insanity.

We’ve spent the last 10 weeks heading to the zoo, swimming at the pool, going on vacation, orchestrating playdates, and doing every fun thing I’ve ever pinned on Pinterest. But I’m running out of inspiration. And patience.

And my kids are starting to get a little… antsy.

Summer can be hard sometimes

So I’m tossing together an end-of-summer toy swap. A few of my mommy friends are coming over for an evening of appetizers, drinks and “new” toys for their kids!

Here’s how you can host one too…

How to Host a Toy Swap

1. Decide on a guest list

Invite your friends with kids that are close in age to yours. (I highly recommend leaving the kids at home, so you can have a little adult time – and avoid the inevitable whining over toys that they don’t want to part with.)

Some swaps are massive and include the entire community. Mine will be fairly small – I’m inviting 10 moms.

2. Choose your “rules”

I’m keeping my swap very laid back, but you can get as structured as you like.

I’ve asked every mom to bring at least five toys that are in decent shape. That means puzzles that aren’t missing pieces, plastic toys that have been wiped down and toys that other kids might genuinely enjoy – even if your kids don’t even notice it anymore.

Some toy swaps provide you with one ticket for every toy that you bring, and each ticket allows you to choose one toy that someone else has brought. And some go so far as to give you a ticket for every dollar in value of the toy you bring. If you bring a $5 toy, then you get five tickets to go towards “purchasing” someone else’s toy.

Like I said, you can be as structured or un-structured as you like.

Be sure to remind your guests to bring a laundry basket or tote bag to take home their “new” toys.

3. Display!

When your guests arrive, set up their toys in a large enough area for people to browse and see what’s available. More toys will be swapped when people can really see what’s available.

You can even go so far as to group the puzzles together, boy toys on one table, girl toys on another. Baby toys somewhere else.

4. Swap!

I usually have each guest pick a number and go in order to pick their toys. And sometimes – when I’m feeling really wild – I give people the option to “steal” toys from the people ahead of them. But – whew – that’s getting pretty crazy, so proceed with stealing at your own risk.

I’ve also hosted swaps where everyone just takes what they want, and we don’t take turns. Every now and then there’s a great mom-fight over the hottest item, but it’s pretty rare.

5. Donate

Anything that’s left over at the end of the swap can be donated to your local shelter or nonprofit organization.

How to Host a Toy Swap

With a few “new” toys in the house, the last few weeks of summer will be that much more manageable!

Looking for other swap ideas? Swap parties can be fun no matter what the theme. Here are a few more ideas for your future swap parties:

Books
          Women’s clothing
          Kids’ clothing
          Accessories and jewelry
          Kitchen gadgets
          Home decor
          Cookies
          Craft supplies
          Husbands (

just kidding)

Anna at My Life and KidsHi – my name is Anna, and I’m the Kids Ideas contributor at 30 Days. I had three kids in three years, and now I wear mom jeans and drive a minivan. You can visit me at my blog: My Life and Kids to see how I find the fun in life and motherhood!

Anna
Hi, my name is Anna, and I had three kids in three years. Now I spend my days wearing mom jeans and driving a minivan. I find the fun in my everyday life and share humorous stories about my kids, my husband and my mother on my blog, My Life and Kids. And - yes - sometimes that means I'm teaching you how to make farting noises with a straw in your armpit.
Anna

Latest posts by Anna (see all)

Comments

These fundamentals give a basis for speculating on the weather in the parts of the country that use heating
    oil. Small oil companies are also serving their customers wants
    by becoming a one-stop-shop for all of their home comfort needs.

As a result, all the supplier’s customers on my road, including myself, didn’t
    have our fuel oil tanks refilled on the first of the month as scheduled.

The lowered drifting will allow easy usage for indoor play as well as outdoor fun. However,
    not everybody likes the mosaic blurring effect that the
    Sims uses when performing these actions. The characters of Tommy and Tina Tater
    are two of the most amusing characters in the Toy Story
    series, and will likely bring smiles to the faces of anyone who sees you
    in your Tommy or Tina Tater costume.

These significant changes give an opening to a market of specialists when it comes to tax preparation, auditing and bookkeeping.
    All this in 1494 and this entire still found on your modern accounting balance sheet.
    Accounting software should contain common features such as accounts receivable,
    accounts payable, banking, payroll, inventory control,
    time costing, job costing, fixed assets and conversions and updates and more.

Here is my page :: Fort Lauderdale CPA firms

This is the right blog for everyone who really wants to find out about this topic.
    You know so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa).
    You definitely put a new spin on a topic that’s been written about for decades.
    Great stuff, just great!

How you look at plastic surgery depends first and foremost on how you appear at your require.

If you are residing in Miami and want to enhance your appearance then you
    will need to visit an experienced cosmetic surgeon in Miami.
    Some proper money movement and a breakaway from the Dolphins could land the tackle in an offense far better suited for
    his talents.

My web page :: celebrity Divas

These forms require you to have an employer identification number.

Most of all, these business owners ensure that aside from core functions in their company, that the people and other downstream resources are given the right treatment all the
    time. For costs of home-based DUI, robbery and assault immigration-linked
    or another tricky New York Tax Attorney, New York Bankruptcy
    Attorney, New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer firm trouble, he promises to zealously promoter for your own interest.

Here is my blog post … Boca Raton entry level CPA jobs

However, whatever ready made bait you favour,
    it is a fact that you can create even more potent baits using a totally new level of knowledge and the reasons for you being able to defeat any ready made bait
    are endless. With the high temperature sensitivity of some perishable
    goods, it’s easy to understand why so many companies rely on vacuum insulated panels such a Thermo – Cor to ensure the quality of their products.
    Be sure to vacuum floors, rugs and upholstery your pet
    comes in contact with regularly.

My web site; boat deck freezer

Surgeons ask the patient to stop smoking cigarettes several weeks
    before the face lift surgery. Is he an active member of a Plastic Surgery Association or Society.
    Those who want to get rid of such problems must have
    tried various anti-ageing products, but found no result.

my web site: nose job photoshop

Moreover, they base their argument upon a “Rendering Unto Caesar” doctrine which makes incalculably
    more sense by INVERTING their interpretation of it, so that it reads as their duty to pay their fair portion of taxes,
    in exchange for all the public services from
    which they likewise share in the common benefit. Wearing a size smaller than you should shows off every extra bit of fat you have.
    Before I address shapewear let me say that if you haven’t already invested in a QUALITY
    bra, that needs to be resolved ASAP.

My blog post – pelvic floor exercises for women preeclampsia After birth

She has a charm that is slightly reminiscent of the childhood favourite
    Rosie and Jim’s Ragdoll, with a modernized interior to suit the 21st century
    traveller. The options within the area range from Myall Lakes houseboats, cottages,
    apartments, cabins and guests houses, lodges and hotels
    among many others. The exception to this rule is when fishing structure, there will always
    be a calm spot behind structure that cat fish rest in and it will be natural for your bait to settle in this area.

Feel free to visit my blog; fiberglass marine freezer