Hey there 30 Days readers! I’m so honored and excited to join the 30 Handmade Days Team to share delicious recipes and ideas! Today I’m sharing a recipe for Peanut Butter & Jelly Pretzel Bites. YUM!
Many kids around the country have already started school, however for most of us living on the West Coast, this has been our first week. So, to celebrate back to school, I made these rich and gooey morsels of awesomeness.
To start, crush up 1 cup of pretzels
I used a food processor, but you can also use a zipped up storage bag and roll with a rolling pin.
Next, add 1/2 cup of peanut butter (or other nut butter), 3 Tbsp. powdered sugar and 1 Tbsp butter into a bowl and mix until smooth. Like this…
Quick note about the sugar…I used a creamy peanut butter that already has sugar added, so 3 tablespoons of additional sugar is a good amount. If you are using a natural or no-sugar-added peanut butter, you may want to mix in an additional 1-2 tablespoons (4-5 total Tbsp).
Then add the crushed pretzels
Take a small scoop (or about a tablespoon) and roll into balls. The “dough” will be really sticky. Lay them on a cookie sheet and using your thumb, press into the dough.
TIP: dip your thumb in water before pressing into the dough. It will prevent the dough from sticking to you.
Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam/jelly into the indent you just made
Then fold up the dough over the jelly and roll back into a ball. Alternatively, you can add a small dollop of dough on top of the jam.
Pop them into the freezer for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt 3/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate over a double-broiler. I used chocolate chips.
Once the PB&J Pretzel Bites are cold and firm, roll them around in the melted chocolate and place them back on the cookie sheet or on a rack to dry. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
They don’t have to perfect. They are going to be consumed at the speed of lightning anyway.
They look so sweet and innocent on the outside, then…BOOM…surprise!! Ooey, gooey and saucy on the inside.
We love these and I hope you will too!
- ½ c. creamy peanut (or other nut) butter
- 3 Tbsp. confectioner’s sugar
- 1 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
- 1 c. crushed pretzels
- ¼ c. jam or jelly
- ¾ c. semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- In a medium mixing bowl, add peanut butter, sugar and butter and mix until smooth.
- Add crushed pretzels and mix well. (To crush pretzels, place in storage bag and roll with a rolling pin. A food processor can also be used.)
- Using a small scoop (or 1 tablespoon) roll the peanut butter mixture into balls.
- With your thumb, press a light indentation into the top of each. TIP: dip your thumb into water to prevent the peanut butter mixture from sticking.
- Drop ¼ teaspoon of jam into each indentation, then fold up the peanut butter mixture over the jam. Alternatively, a small amount of the peanut butter mixture can be placed over the jam. Just be sure to use a little less than a tablespoon when dividing them out.
- Roll them back into balls and place on a cookie sheet. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate in a double broiler.
- Once the peanut butter and jelly pretzel bites are firm, remove from freezer and dip in warm chocolate.
- Place chocolate covered balls back on cookie sheet or on a rack to dry.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
For more recipes, check out my blog. You can also catch up with me on Facebook and Pinterest. I’d love to connect with you!