When I was little my mother would cut various foods into different shapes, grilled cheese sandwiches, pancakes etc. There is just something that makes food cut into fun shapes taste better. So why not start off Valentine’s Day with a little fun and some heart shaped overnight french toast. Valentine’s Day falls on a school/work day this year so getting a big fancy breakfast fixed before everyone heads out the door could be a challenge. Overnight french toast makes it easy. You do most of the work the night before and that morning all you have to do is throw it on the griddle and then add the strawberry syrup. I like using the thick Texas Toast bread. I used one of my many heart shaped cookie cutters and cut the bread into cute little hearts. I mixed up a mixture of egg, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and poured it over the bread, making sure to cover both sides of the bread. Cover it with some plastic wrap and then put it in the refrigerator overnight. After I had the french toast in the refrigerator I mixed up a batch of strawberry syrup. Easy to do (directions below). The next morning all I had to do was cook the french toast. And then top it with the syrup and some sliced fresh strawberries. Heart shaped french toast is just way more fun to eat than regular old square french toast! And then cover it with fresh strawberries and your Valentine will love you even more! Show your family a little love on Valentine’s morning with some heart shaped overnight french toast! For some other yummy Valentine treats check out these:
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C milk
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 slices of thick French bread
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, chopped. Reserve a few for garnish on top
- 1 C sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp grated orange rind
- Cut bread into heart shape using a cookie cutter
- Mix together the first seven ingredients until well blended.
- Place bread on a large baking sheet (with sides)
- Pour batter over the bread. Turn the bread and make sure back side is coated as well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the refrigerator over night.
- The next morning spray a skillet or frying pan with cooking spray and cook french toast until golden brown
- In a medium pan combine all syrup ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer until strawberries are reduced by 1/3.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place in blender and blend.
- Return mixture to pan and cook until mixture thickens.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups of syrup.