It always amazes me that with a few simple ingredients, you can make something as tasty as these Smothered Black Bean and Green Chili Enchiladas! Enchiladas are one of my favorite things to order in a restaurant because they are usually covered in melted cheese. YUM! They are super simple to make at home and are a favorite with my husband.
The last time I made them I decided to mix it up a bit and try to make them vegetarian style. I’m not a vegetarian, but sometimes it’s nice to take a break from meat!
The black beans still provide a great source of protein and the green chilies add a little kick.
You most certainly could use canned black beans. In fact, one of the reasons I like this dish so much is I can have the majority of the ingredients stored on hand in my pantry. If I have the extra time I really like to make my own from dry beans. You can find the recipe here and thank me later because they are life changing!
Make this for your loved ones and I promise no one will even miss the meat!
Smothered Black Bean and Green Chili Enchiladas
- 10 Fajita Size Flour Tortillas
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 28 oz Black Beans Drained and Rinsed
- ½ Medium Yellow Onion Finely Diced
- 8 oz Green Chilies
- 28 oz Red Enchilada Sauce
- 2 c Monterrey Jack Cheese (or Fiesta Blend Cheese), Shredded
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper Thinly Sliced
- 1 Roma Tomato Diced
- ½ c Queso Fresco
- ¼ c Cilantro Leaves Chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Saute chopped onions and green chilies for about 2-3 minutes or until onions are tender. Turn off heat.
- Add in half of the black beans and smash using a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Stir in remaining beans and 1 cup of cheese.
- Pour ¾ cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 pan and spread evenly.
- Fill each tortilla with about ¼ cup of filling and roll up.
- Place seam side down into the pan. Scoot them to all fit.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top evenly and top with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and bubbly.
- Cool for 10 minutes and garnish with jalapeno slices, queso fresco, tomatoes and cilantro.