Make a Family Binder

Every year I make a New Year’s resolution to get more organized.  Somehow that resolution never gets checked off the list.  The saying “Creative minds are rarely tidy” sums me to the “T.”  This year (and yes the year is half over….) I am turning over a new leaf.  I can finally cross one big project off my list- Make a family binder.

Make a Family Binder www.thirtyhandmadedays.comI rounded up some fabulous products, created some printables and went to work.  I’m beyond thrilled with the finished results as all of my important things are in one spot.

Create a Family Binder www.thirtyhandmadedays.comI divided this family binder into a few key sections: current, kids, bills and important info.  I used several Post-it Brand products to make my binder.
For the “bills” section, I added a Post-it Pocket.  It’s the perfect spot to keep receipts, bills and anything that applies to my finances.

Post-it Pocket for receipts www.thirtyhandmadedays.comI created my own tabs by laminating plain white cardstock and adding a Post-it Full Adhesive Note over it, which has rounded edges and adhesive backing on the whole note for a strong hold that still removes cleanly.  That way I can write on the whole tab, change them out when needed and add more when I want. I was able to use vibrant colors I like too.

Post-it Adhesive www.thirtyhandmadedays.comI used Post-it Full Adhesive Roll to label the spine of the binder.  For other projects I might try to run Postit Full Adhesive Rolls through the printer for a more finished off look.  But I feel like sticking this adhesive to everything.  It’s fun, colorful and I could label anything with it!

Quick binder tip www.thirtyhandmadedays.com
A friend recently told me this tip and I thought it was the smartest thing- make a few copies of the birth certificates in your family and put them behind the original in a sheet protector.  We are asked at least once a year for a birth certificate for one of our kids – for sports, school, insurance reasons etc.  If you have it all ready to go and stored in a Post-it Pocket, one less thing to worry about.  Isn’t that great?  Now I’m all set.

Family Binder Printables www.thirtyhandmadedays.com

To get your family binder started, I’m sharing my information sheet printables.  Please note these are for personal use only.  Thank you.

Babysitter Info
Health Insurance Info
Other Insurance Info
School Info
Utilities

I will continue to add more pages as I add them to my binder.
Looking for the “This Week for Dinner” printable? You can download it and a “Goals for this week” on my Post-it Note Grids post.
Post-it Note Projects www.thirtyhandmadedays.com
I’d love to know how you stay organized.  What are some of your favorite tips?
Make a family binder - with printables & tips from www.thirtyhandmadedays.com

School Binder with printables from www.thirtyhandmadedays.com Organization Tips: Make an Accountability Binder for your kids to teach work and money management www.thirtyhandmadedays.com
Looking for other ways to get more organized? Check out my School Binders and Accountability Binder with lots of printables too!

2014 Printable Calendar to go with organizational binders from www.thirtyhandmadedays.com
Add an updated 2014 calendar to your family binder!

Disclaimer: Post-it Brand provided me with product and compensation for this post. I am thrilled to work with a company I 100% believe in . As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

Comments

I’m the same way Kelsey!! I am so unorganized. I live by “Creative minds are rarely tidy.” :) But I’m determined to change that. Hope you make one!

Thank you so much Randi! I tried to break it all down for things I REALLY need so that it’d all be together. I’m obsessed with Post-it Products. The possibilities are endless. Thanks for the comment. xo

Thank you Meaghan! I love that you’re in a purge/organize/have-a-perfect-ok-not-perfect-but-better house mode. I need to get my act together and do the same. Thanks for the comment.

LOVE this idea! I need to do it – and I think it’s the perfect time of year to get started! Thanks Mique, as always for the inspiration!

Thanks Jessica! I agree- perfect time of year- right before school starts and I get a million more papers to add to it and have to refer to it for all of the endless paperwork. You’re so welcome. Thanks for your comments- I appreciate every one of them!

Thank you Heidi!! I had fun with the Post-it products and love that I can change things out whenever I feel like it. I’m a paper product nerd and get giddy over this kind of stuff. Just wish I was naturally more organized. But I’m working on it!

2. Emma says

Do you have a link for the “This Week For Dinner”? I love how you did this and now I’m inspired to do my own :)

Thank you Cheryl!! I bow to your organizational and house keeping skills. Some day I’ll be on top of things as much as you! xo

3. Melissa in NJ says

One way I keep organized is by copying receipts for major purchases, and they could go in this binder. Like when I bought a new water heater, and such, along w/warranty info, because they always ask you on the phone for the date of purchase. If I can, I label the actual item — I wrote the date of purchase right on my water heater with a sharpie, LOL, so I know how long it has lasted and how long ’till I might need a new one. The shiny paper receipts they give you now don’t last, they fade after about 3 months — I think they’re made to do that so you can’t prove when you bought it! I also use my fave toy — my label maker — to make a label with warranty/repair phone number and stuff. Then I put it right on the item, like my clothes washer.

Melissa you are awesome! So smart. I think you’re right- they make the receipts so you can’t prove when you bought something. Silly stores! I need to get a label maker.

4. Melissa in NJ says

Oh — and — another way to keep organized and put it in this binder is, if someone you know (child, elderly parent, etc.) takes many medications, keep them on a chart in this binder to grab and go to the doctor’s. A chart with dosage, strength, how often, interactions, etc. is SO helpful to doctors.

Mique, I love, love this binder! I wish I could buy this from an Etsy shop! LOL I’m working on getting things really organized before the new homeschool year starts and this binder is one of the things I’m doing. Thank you for the printables, too!

Thank you so much Amanda! I wish I could buy all kinds of things pre-organized on Etsy. I’d be SET. I don’t know how you do it all. You amaze me! xoxo

Just love this post! I’m always needing to find new ways to get organized, and boy are you right about the creative mind… I’m a MESS! haha
    Thanks so much for making the printables available as well, I pinned this one for later!
    I’m visiting you from the Project Inspired linky party, so nice to meet you!

Take Care,
    Andrea @ Cloud Nine Chic

Thanks so much for stopping by Andrea! We (creative girls) need to stick together and then help each other out with organization. Thanks for pinning too. Nice to meet you too- hope you’ll be back. Have a wonderful day.

7. Jeanene says

I love this idea! I’m currently obsessed with washi tape and that might be a way to add some pretty labels to your notebook.

8. LA says

I have been meaning to do this, thank you for the printables because I don’t have your excellent form creating skills! Is the binder post it brand too? I love the colors.

You did a fabulous job on this! I keep meaning to get more organized and I’m definitely going to be making one of these. I love how it even has the personal papers… it seems like every time I need them I spend hours searching! I love how colorful it is, too!

Thank you so much- glad you like it! I’m the same way- I spend hours and hours searching and got so tired of it. Now it’s all in one spot and it’s fabulous. It took some time to get it all together but I love it now!

10. Carol says

Thanks so much for sharing this! I can’t wait to put mine together. I was looking for the “what’s for dinner” printable and I see someone already asked. I will be logging on Monday to print mine out! I love some of the other ideas too – copying receipts, the chart for an elderly persons medication – Wonderful :)

Hi Carol- yep the “what’s for dinner” will be available next week. I love all the ideas in the comments too. I love that people shared their ideas because it helps make the binder even better. Thanks for the comment. Have a wonderful week!

You are far ahead of most people if you already have one!! It’s been on my list fooooorever. Print some of these out and add them to what you already have. Thanks for the comment!

I love your binder! So neat and organized. (And colorful too!) I actually made a binder as part of a New Year’s resolution too…and it’s sitting in my desk drawer, unused. lol. I just may have to dust it off and update it now. Thanks for the inspiration!

~Abby =)

12. Heather says

Your binder is fabulous!!! This has been on my list as well but you have given me a few more ideas to put in my own binder. :) I love that your binder is so colorful!!! How many inches is your binder? I bought a 1 inch binder but I am wondering if it is not big enough. Also, where did you purchase washi tape? Do any local stores carry them! Love the printables!!! :) Thank you for the inspiration and wonderful ideas! :)

13. Angi says

Do you have a printable for the weekly meals too? I love this! So cute and colorful! I need to see what post it products my local stores carry!

Thanks for sharing this at Life Inspired. I cannot even tell you how many times I have said, “we need a family binder”. I absolutely love the post it idea too, because our dinners seemed to always get flip flopped and changed last minute. Thursday’s dinner becomes Mondays, etc.

This is awesome!! Mique, can you tell us a few more of the sections you created? And what’s in the “current” section? We don’t have kids yet so mine wouldn’t be kid-focused, but I need to get organized on things like this so when it DOES happen…… ;) Thanks!!

16. Jeni Morton says

These are great ideas! I already had a binder, because I was tired of carting copies of important documents around to school and doctor and everyone else who needed them. I got pocket folders, one for each kid, and put their birth certs, social security cards and insurance cards inside. There is room for the latest report card and immunization records, and a good idea might be to add a current photo to each folder, too. The folders are punched and all inside one three ring binder, ready to pick up and take with me wherever I need it.

17. Leisa Williams says

Team sports schedules – that was something I included in our family binder. And a signed “in case of emergency form – if my child needs emergency care, please do so” – and had that with insurance/doctor info.

Your binder is WAY cuter than mine ever was :)

18. Elisa says

Gotta ask this- where did you get the binder? It’s the perfect pattern and I want to make one these ASAP. Love the dinner post-it note idea! :^)

19. Erin Pennington says

Seems like a cute idea but I wouldn’t keep original birth certificates and other important documents in it, these should be in a fire safe just in case.

20. Dannie says

Hi Mique,
    I love your printables! Thank you for them. I am grateful for pinterest, since I have also felt we need a family binder. Now I am actually starting the process! I am impressed with yours, especially the colors. Congrats on it!
    Dannie

21. Debbie Wyler says

Hey. Thank you so much for all these great ideas and printables! So kind of you to share. I had a small problem downloading the health insurance document. Is there any way you could email it to me?

Thanks so much!
    Debbie

22. rap says

We have one of these. We called it the “systems binder” (we are geeks). You have some good ideas for additions. I put pocket folders as dividers. Each child got a section, one for church, one for family/house. The pockets are great places to store temporary information you don’t want to loose: this season’s sports schedule, the top half of that permission slip with all the important info on it, a party invite, and lots of other stuff. One pocket would hold the school directory. Church directory got stuck in sheet protectors.

23. Cindy B. says

Thank you so much for coming up with the kids binder & making it available free. I have been looking for something to make for my grandchildren for Christmas as I have very little money. I have so many craft supplies I could even jaz the papers up. I am excited! Thank you again.

24. Ellen says

This is a great idea I like to think I’m organized but definitely could do more…kids are all grown just the hubby and I so would need to label a few things differently but I love the weekly recipe sure would make things a lot easier because when I shop I buy things for dinner for the week but then forget what I was going to make ha ha ha

25. Melissa says

I love this!!!!!
    Do you print everything at home or print anything at office max or somewhere like that? I’m finding that the more printables I find & print I’m running out if ink quick. I’m not sure what’s more economical. I will definitely be starting this project ASAP!!! Thank you for sharing!!

26. olga says

I love being able to take from different bloggers and make my own! I currently have a home binder inspired by Iheartorganizing, but your printables would also go very well with it! Great job!

27. laura says

This is adorable! I love this kind of stuff- is there a printable on here that I can customize my self sort of like the utilities printable…like for credit cards accounts and stuff! this blows my MARTHA STEWART stuff out of the water!

28. Barbara says

A concern I would have is putting this where a sitter or just anyone visiting my home could access documents like birth cert., ins. info, dates etc. Especially with copies just begging to be walked off with. LOVE the idea & think it is important to keep info handy, think tornado/earth- quake etc., but not where anyone could easily access it. Just me. I love your site too.

29. Louise says

Hi, love the calendars! however the jan.calendar has two 21st’s. i fixed it with whiteout. Happy new Year and thanks for making the calendars colorful and very pretty!

30. Kristyn says

LOVE it!! My goal this year is to be completely organized and a family binder would totally help! Thanks, girl! xo

31. Jennifer Darling says

Hiiii, I am so happy to have found your website! My goal this year for myself and my family is to get and be ORGANIZED! So Thankful for your free printables! I have already printed out most :) However, I do have a quick question… on the money sheet, it says Date, D/W, Description, Amount, and Total. I cannot figure out what the D/W stands for! I would love to use this sheet for keeping track of our bills but just cant seem to figure out that D/W. Thanks so much!

thank you so much for all these great printables! maybe, just maybe i’ll be able to get somewhat organize…my problem will be to keep it going once i’ve put my binders together

33. Colleen says

For anyone wanting to edit the PDF, the free version of PDF XChange Viewer has a typewriter tool that allows you to add text. Actually, the free version of this program allows you to do quite a bit, and you can do substantially more with the paid version, although I don’t know how reasonable the price is (I only used it for work, so I wasn’t the person paying for it).

All of the printables I’ve used so far have been extremely helpful, and I do better when I can type my information in rather than hand write it. Hope that helps!

Love your designs and ideas! I am working on organization in my home right now with a post to follow. I will DEFINITELY be referencing and linking to your printables!!! Thank you for all your hard work & creativity! And OF COURSE, for SHARING!!!!

36. kla.e says

Love this binder I have so much going to where some days I forget a Dr. Appt or prior lunch date. My friends pick on me all the time! Can’t wait to create my own as well as the kids accountability folder! Thank you again for his great idea!

37. Shellie says

I love what you have come up with here, I have had bits and pieces of this binders with a combination of files for a while, being an Army family, i have been looking for a way to keep all of our important information in one place, I see now that I have the tools all along, the post it products will help bring it all together I believe, and its nice to have someone else walk though there thought process to give you the confidence that what you are doing is right. Thanks for the information and the post, now to condense the 5 binders I have and the files into a 2 main binders and one file box (since I can’t see lugging around some of the stuff we have to keep in the files) Thank so much for such a well thought out guide!

38. Melissa Johnson says

I think it’s really amazing that you share these things with other busy moms for free. You’re a gem. Big thanks from an Oklahoma working mom/middle school teacher/graduate student/new home owner. You’re saving my life right now! :)

39. Natalie says

I love these!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m actually looking to purchase my first house and I saw the budget binder. This is going to help so much!! Thank you!!!!!!!!

40. Romina says

Great post!!!! I have a very ugly folder for my bills, etc…I guess I will do this for everything!!! Thank you so much!!! Kisses from Argentina :)

41. Linda says

Mique, you ARE the BOMB! It’s just too bad for me we didn’t have this internet thing back when my children were in school! But, I will now put many of your binders to very good use. I think I will also come up with an additional one for my quilting! What an inspiration you have been to me. Thank you so much and my you find Lots of Love and Joy in your lifetime!

Within this sport, it is possible to grow your crops, build pick pets, houses, and
    more. You must produce a fan site in this way the guests view it with maximum attention.

There are numerous factors for purchasing the Apple Apple iphone five, nevertheless,
    the smartphone has its weaknesses. There are a great deal
    of choices when it arrives to Apple iphone GPS tracking.

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google,
    and found that it’s truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels.
    I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future.
    Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!