Kids Activities: Summer Punch Cards

It’s the 10th of the month which means my friends and I gathered together to share some fun ideas.  This month’s theme is POLKA DOTS.  I love me some polka dots.  But I was stumped on what to create.  I went for something practical associated with kids activities— summer punch cards.  Check out what I made and then hop on to my friends for more awesome polka dot ideas!

Summer Activity Punch Cards to prevent "Mom I'm bored" all summer long! Print out and get punching.  www.thirtyhandmadedays.comSummer summer summer time… it’s upon us.  Some friends around the country have been out of school for weeks.  We still have one more week left.  But I can already hear the “Mooooom I’m bored’s” coming.   In an effort to combat that, I made a simple printable that will get kids moving and also reward them for doing something other than watching tv or playing video games.

Summer Activity Punch Cards to prevent "Mom I'm bored" all summer long! Print out and get punching.  from  www.thirtyhandmadedays.comI’ve seen several different versions of charts, activity sheets, printables, even other punch cards. Including this card from Craftinge - they are working on earning money for a family trip.  So awesome! For my family, I needed ours to be bigger with more specific categories.
My categories are: chores, reading, outdoors, RAOK (random acts of kindness) and cooking.  These are all areas I want my kids to focus on over the summer.
The idea is that for every activity your child does (which can be discussed and decided as a family), they get a punch.  When they punch all the dots, they get a reward.  Rewards can be decided for each child because what what works for one, won’t work for another.  You could also work it that when a category is punched, he or she will earn a prize.  Think along the lines of- extra electronic time, money, mom/daughter or son lunch date, etc.
You don’t have to use a hole punch.  You could just use a pen and have your kids mark off each thing as they do it.
And one more idea- laminate the “punch card” and use a dry erase marker instead.  That way you only need one and it can be used over and over again.  Read more about why I love my laminator so much.
Take this and do with it whatever you like! Do what works for you.   All you need is a printer, cardstock and hole punch to make it happen.

I know not everyone will want the same categories so I made a generic one too.

Download these simple Summer Activity Punch Cards - for personal use from www.thirtyhandmadedays.comDownload custom punch card or generic punch cards.  For personal use only.  Thanks!

Updated to add:
A few people have said that these cards are too big for hole punches.  I have one that can punch anywhere so it works for me.  You don’t have to use a hole punch if you don’t want to.  But I created a smaller business card version too:

Download a small custom summer punch card set or a small generic punch card set.

This goes perfectly with my Summer Binder and worksheets that I just posted about last week:
Printable Summer Binder- create a binder full of fun for your kids this summer! Beat the boredom blues! Printables for each section included.

Ok don’t stop there— here are the amazing other polka dot projects from my sweet friends.  Make sure to visit and tell them how awesome they are (because they really really are!):

Polka Dots Theme 10 for 10 Roundup

1. Summer Punch Card from Thirty Handmade Days

2. Popcorn Cake from Your Homebased Mom

3. Polka Dot Jewelry Boxes from eighteen25

4. Polka Dot Photo Booth Background from Kristen Duke

5. Framed Polka Dot Dry Erase Board from Lolly Jane

6. Polka Dot 4th of July Mantel from Landeelu

7. Polka Dot Surprise Cake from Or So She Says

8. Polka Dot and Striped Flag from Simply Kierste

9. Summer Printable from Two Twenty One

Comments

i love these! I did a printable book for my kids for summer that has different categories that i want them to work on. I like the idea of them not just wasting all the days away!

2. Lisa says

Love this! But, how do you punch out the dots near the middle-top of the page? I don’t think my standard hole punch (like the one shown in your post) will reach it. Just curious if I’m missing something… ;)

• Leigh says

I thought the same thing! Super cute idea, but after printing, it is impossible to reach the middle dots. So sad as I loved this idea for a summer reading program.

All is not lost! You can do a couple of things– you can just cross the bubbles out with a pen. You can fold the card and punch. You can cut or tear them when they get that point. I actually have a punch that reaches anywhere so it’s not an issue but can see how it’d be a pain if you don’t. If you want to laminate the card and use a dry erase pen, that would work too. Then you can use it over and over…. hope that helps!

Hi Lisa—

Love this and so easy to keep up with. Who cares if the punch is smaller than the circle as long as there is a punch in it you’ll know it’s done. Thanks for linking up as always to Cook it Craft it Share it! Have a great weekend!

4. Chanel says

Fabulous! I’m Hi-jacking your idea and making punch cards for my first graders for this upcoming school year ;) The possibilities are endless! Thanks.

Stopping by from SITS because I had to check this out! What a great idea… summer PUNCH CARDS! This is so clever and perfect to use with my boys ages eight and nine. Im totally sharing this on my Facebook. Thanks for this great idea and the making the free printable.

Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your
    website, how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account
    aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a
    little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

my web site past digital

Hi! I have a quick question…can the school kids be moved off the August 18th date, as we start school after Labor Day up here in New England? I’m a Southerner, and used to school starting mid-August, but up here, they start a little later. Thanks!:)

8. Loretta says

I was wondering if we could have these with the “summer” statement taken off? My kids have really taken to this concept and I want to continue with the punch cards throughout the year once school starts! =)