I love any form of fresh baked bread and over at Your Homebased Mom I have lots of yummy bread recipes. Lots of people are scared of making bread because they think it’s hard and takes a long time. Today’s recipe will dispel all those rumors. In less than 60 minutes you can have delicious and savory skillet focaccia bread that will go great with any meal and it’s practically fail proof.
I love cooking in my cast iron skillet and it is perfect for today’s recipe. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet you can definitely use a glass 8 x 8 or other oven safe casserole type pan that would be around the same size. My skillet is 10″ wide.
While you are mixing up your dough, preheat your oven to 220 degrees and then when it beeps turn off the oven and keep the door closed. After mixing up your dough, roll it out into a circle the size of your pan.
Place the dough into a greased pan and push it up onto the sides too. Cover with a towel and place the skillet into your warm oven and let it rise for 20 minutes. Keep the door closed. After it has doubled in size (about 20 minutes) remove from oven and poke holes using the end of a wooden spoon into the dough. It will fall a little bit.
Brush with half of the butter, herb and cheese mixture and then bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.After you take it out of the oven brush with the remaining butter/herb/cheese mixture. Allow to cool.
60 Minute Skillet Focaccia Bread
- ¾ c warm water
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 c all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
Parmesan Butter Topping
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Mix together water and sugar in a bowl, stir to dissolve sugar.
- Sprinkle yeast over top and allow to sit until foamy (about 5 minutes).
- In a mixer add 1 c flour and salt. Add oil and mix well.
- Add in remaining cup of flour until the dough easily pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- While mixing up bread, preheat oven to 220 degrees and turn off the oven once the temperature is reached.
- Keep oven door closed.
- Grease skillet.
- Place dough on floured counter and roll out to size of pan.
- Place dough in skillet and stretch up the dough to the sides of the pan. Cover with towel and place in warm oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make indentations into dough with the end of a wooden spoon.
- Mix together melted butter, cheese and seasoning in a bowl.
- Brush half of the mixture gently onto the dough.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush with remaining butter mixture.
Recipe from CrunchyCreamySweet.com
For a fun bread baking activity with your kids check out my Kids Can Cook Bread in a Bag post!