Every month my kids and I make treats for their teachers for the “Dessert of the Month Club” – our Christmas gift to them. Some months we make recipes that we’ve made over and over. Other months we are in the mood to try something new. When I found this Almond Cookie Brittle recipe in a church cookbook, I knew we had to try it. The results were fabulous! And seriously so easy to make.
I LOVE almond flavored everything so this recipe was like heaven in my mouth. The smell of almond extract is divine. Yum!
Pretty Much Divine Almond Cookie Brittle
- 1 c unsalted butter softened
- 1 c sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp almond extract
- 2 c all purpose-flour
- 1 c sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine butter, sugar, salt and almond extract.
- Beat until creamy. Stir in flour gradually, beating until blended.
- Fold in nuts.
- Press dough 3/8" thick in a jelly-roll pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 mins (the shorter the time it bakes, the chewier it stays - longer baking makes for a crispier cookie - it's more of a preference thing).
- Leave in pan to cool, then break apart.
- Store in an airtight container.
I baked mine for 15 minutes and the edges were starting to brown so I pulled it out of the oven. I felt like they were the perfect texture and consistency. With only a handful of ingredients, this recipe is pretty fool proof. We will definitely be making it again. And again.
Side note: Two weeks ago I changed my diet pretty drastically and started Cross Fit. I’m following Paleo guidelines and am feeling SO much better about my health. My family is getting used to eating differently right along with me. I will continue to share recipes that are our family favorites but you will probably see some healthier options too.
I’d love to know- what’s your favorite flavor to bake with?
I have a whole slew of recipes to try out so make sure and visit my recipe index!