I am feeling extra cheesy! Sorry I couldn’t resist. Our family loves cheese. We don’t discriminate – cheddar, mozzarella, American, cream cheese.. we like it all. It helps that my Mother-in-law is from Switzerland, the land of watches, chocolate and cheese. Today’s recipe is a spin on an old classic- Bacon Macaroni and Cheese with a Kick.
I took our favorite BAKED mac and cheese (because we love it that way) and added more favorites – bacon and chopped chiles. It’s still the easiest recipe ever. No weird steps, just easy and straight forward. Doesn’t everything taste better with bacon? Yeah I thought so.
The American cheese will be used for grilled cheese and tomato soup when it finally cools down! Yes I’m counting the minutes down until we can have soup and ooey-gooey cheesy sandwich. Yum!
You can add a little or a lot of bacon. You can make them small pieces or big pieces. You can do whatever floats your fancy – it’s your call.
Visit your local Target to take advantage of the Weekly Wow promotion featuring Kraft Cheese products! From 9/14 through 9/20, buy any 5 Kraft Cheese products for $10.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kraft. The opinions and text are all mine.
Bacon Macaroni & Cheese with a Kick
- 12 oz. bag elbow macaroni
- 2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1 16 oz. bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 small can chopped green chile peppers
- garlic powder
- ground black pepper
- bacon cooked and crumbled or chopped (I used 3 pieces of bacon but you can use more or less depending on your preference)
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Cook bacon according to directions.
- Bring water to boil, then add pasta.
- Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes (as directed on package).
- While macaroni cooks, chop onions to desired consistency. Saute in a saucepan with 1 Tbsp. butter.
- Drain pasta and rinse with hot water.
- Place pasta back into pot with 2 tbsp butter and stir to cover so pasta does not stick.
- Stir in sauteed onions and cheese and can of green chiles.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream and stir until nicely mixed.
- Add garlic powder and black pepper to taste.
- Scoop mixture into covered casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes, then check for desired bubbliness.