We’ve made a valiant effort since I’ve been back from my trip to eat more consciously. We’ve had salads and wraps and all kinds of good stuff. But I was missing out on a good ol’ casserole. So I found some recipes that looked doable and delicious and got busy in the kitchen.
This is an updated casserole that is a little healthier and not so heavy. I used whole wheat pasta and light mozzarella cheese along with some whole marinara sauce. It contains mushrooms but other vegetables could be substituted as well.
Easy Cheesy Penne Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 c onion chopped
- 1 c mushrooms sliced
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes drained
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 8 oz light mozzarella cheese shredded
- 8 oz uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground turkey in a pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add olive oil and saute onions and mushrooms.
- Add turkey back with diced tomatoes and marinara sauce.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce into bottom of 9x13 pan.
- Add uncooked pasta.
- Add another layer of sauce and then sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove and let stand with foil still on for 15 minutes.
This was adapted from Skinny Taste. Love her recipes! They are so good and for the most part, easy to make.
I saw a challenge on Instagram to try out some new vegetables. When I was at the store and saw white asparagus I knew we had to try it. I used my favorite roasting method and it turned out divine. Yum!
Looking for other healthy and delicious recipes? Try these out: