Leigh Anne from Your Home Based Mom is back to share another delicious treat! This time she shares easy sugar cookies with a twist perfect for Thanksgiving.
For most of us Thanksgiving is all about the pie – pumpkin pie, apple pie, mincemeat pie (?!?). Really, any kind of pie. My sister in law is providing all the pies for our Thanksgiving and there is always an amazing assortment of flavors. But I understand that there are some people who are ” not a pie person.” I can respect that so today’s recipe is for any “not a pie person” who may be attending your holiday dinner. I’ve got an amazing cookie for them. Now who would turn down a cookie, especially a maple sugar cookie.
I love sugar cookies and actually spent quite a bit of time a few years ago searching for The Perfect Sugar Cookie, which I think I found. But I must say today’s recipe takes a close second to it. The addition of maple syrup to the cookie and the glaze gives the cookie an amazing flavor. Maple and Fall just go together so this is the perfect cookie to add to your Thanksgiving Day menu for any “not a pie person” or for the people who just want a taste of sweet. I judge how good a cookie is by how many I eat – this is a four cookie cookie! Yes, I ate four of them. I had to make sure they were really as good as I thought they were. I then packaged the rest of them up and gave them away before I ate them. O.K., I did save one for my breakfast. I also went for a run this morning.
The cookie is a thin sugar cookie which I love, yet it is still chewy. Perfection. The cookies do flatten out quite a bit as they bake so I found that they were prettier if I used my smaller cookie scoop – about 1 Tablespoon worth of dough. The cookies just got too big using my regular size cookie scoop. Can a cookie really be too big??!!
After they cooled I drizzle them right on the cookie sheet and then moved them to a cookie rack to let the drizzle set up.
Enjoy a taste of Fall – a maple sugar cookie.
Maple Sugar Cookie
slightly adapted from Better Homes and Garden 100 Best Cookies
Maple Sugar Cookies
- ½ c butter softened
- ½ c shortening
- 1 ½ c sugar
- ⅓ c brown sugar packed
- ¼ c pure maple syrup (the real stuff)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 c flour
- ¼ c Half and Half
- ¼ c butter melted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 c powdered sugar (plus more, if needed)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In mixer beat butter and shortening on medium high for 30 seconds.
- Add sugars, maple syrup, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Beat until well combined.
- Add in egg yolks and vanilla and then add in flour.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until edges just begin to turn brown.
- Cool and drizzle with maple icing.
- Combine half and half, butter and maple syrup.
- Add in 3 c powdered sugar to make icing drizzling consistency. Add more if needed.
- Drizzle over cooled cookies.