Some of my favorite recipes are of the slow cooker chicken variety. My family likes chicken a lot and this recipe is straight forward and tasty!
Way back when my (now) teenager/tween were itty bitty, I used to gather recipes from old recipe books, magazines and family members. One time I spent hours at my aunt’s house painstakingly hand writing all of my favorite recipes from her onto little cards. Some of those recipes are still of the of the ones I go to over and over. Today’s recipe is from an old magazine that I’ve added altered just slightly: Slow Cooker Chicken Tex Mex.
The original recipe didn’t call for chips or sour cream. You can omit those if you want. I felt like it needed a crunch and that the sour cream balanced added something to it. But it’s fine on it’s own too.
Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken Tex Mex
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 green pepper cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1 red pepper cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1 c frozen corn
- 1 ½ c salsa
- 1 c cheddar cheese shredded
- Optional - crushed tortilla chips and sour cream to top
- Toss chicken with seasoning and flour in slow cooker.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except the shredded cheese; cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Stir just before serving. Top with the shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips and dollop of sour cream.
- Serve over rice.
With all the running around lately, my slow cooker has saved me over and over. I know lots of people don’t have one or don’t use theirs very much. But the idea that I can put everything into a pot early in the morning and come back to a warm meal waiting for our starving family.. yes, please.
Looking for other simple slow cooker meals? Try these out:
I have used this recipe a couple times, but I added a chopped, medium sized onion the second time. I personally think the onion improves the meal…. but then I like onions.
Is.this for serving of 4?
Holy yummi-ness. This sounds amazing, and now I’m super hungry at 9:15 in the evening. Haha!
That looks super yummy! I’m going to have to try this.
Mindie Hilton says
Looks great, love tex mex, anything spicy, and my slow cooker.
Deb @ Cooking on the Front Burner says
Thanks for linking with us at Marvelous Monday tonight – pinned and shared on G+!
1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into small pieces.
How much/what kind of chicken? Looks like it was left out of the recipe. :-)