With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, surprise your loved ones with these Strawberries & Cream Doughnuts.
I’ve tried lots of different doughnut recipes and varieties, but this one is a winner. These doughnuts use simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and they are baked, not fried. So, you can feel a little better about treating yourself (and your loved ones).
In a mixing bowl, fitted with a paddle attachment, mix: 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
Mix well. Then add wet ingredients: 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt), 1 egg (beaten), 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Mix until just incorporated. Be careful not to overmix.
Now it’s time to fill the mold. I used this heart-shaped one from Wilton.
Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray. Using a piping bag or spoon, fill the doughnut pan half full. I used a sandwich bag and cut off a corner.
Bake at 425 degrees for 5-6 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the Strawberries & Cream Glaze. To make the glaze, whisk 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 cup strawberry jam and 1/4 cup heavy cream.
Once the doughnuts have cooled for 5-10 minutes, dip doughnut tops in glaze.
Serve and enjoy.
Makes 12 doughnuts.
And if you’re feeling extra festive, add some sprinkles!
Strawberries and Cream Doughnuts
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- ½ c sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ c milk
- ¼ c sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Sprinkles coconut or other desired toppings
- 1 c powdered sugar
- ¼ c strawberry jam
- ¼ c heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray doughnut pan with non-stick spray.
- Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Add milk, sour cream, egg, oil and vanilla; mix until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Using a piping bag or spoon, fill doughnut pan half way.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together glaze ingredients.
- Once doughnuts have cooled, dip doughnut tops into glaze and decorate as desired.
- Serve and enjoy!