I’m excited to share a simple but fun teen or adult Halloween costume idea along with over 80 other costume ideas. It’s pretty much your one stop DIY Halloween costume shop. How awesome is that?
It’s crazy to me that I now only have one young trick or treater, my youngest who is 8 years old. My middle child has declared she won’t be going this year since she’s now in junior high. But there will be a church party and other opportunities to wear a costume. So what’s a girl to do? Last year she was a nerd. This year I suggested for her to let me make an Instagram costume.
It’s a super quick, fun, easy costume that can be worn with any clothes. Winner! Here’s how you can make your own:
Take a screenshot of your Instagram account right after you post a picture, making sure to get the top and bottom of the Instagram screen.
After I did this, I pulled it up in Illustrator to cut out the picture that Julia had posted. You don’t have to do this step because it will be cut out anyway but you can if you’d like to.
Upload your picture to a local printer (I used Office Max but any of them will work – you can call around for the best deal too). I had my IG board printed on foam core. It was 18″x24″ and cost $12 to have it printed and mounted.
This is what it looked like when I brought it home:
Next take a long ruler or yard stick and draw a square outlining where you want to cut the hole out.
I used a utility knife and made several cuts. It is much smoother and easier if you cut through a little at a time instead of trying to cut through the foam core all at once. So it took me about 3 times around the perimeter to fully cut the square out.
And that was it! Then I asked Julia to strike her best poses and with a little egging on, here’s what I got:
I might be biased but I think she’s adorable…
And now it’s time for tons more DIY Halloween costume inspiration! Join in on the BLOG HOP! Click on the links below each collage to get the detailed instructions about how to make the costume pictured.
1. Handmade Baby Hamburger Costume
3. DIY Minecraft Steve Costume
4. Football Brothers Halloween Costumes with DIY Pads and Onesie
5. Star Trek Halloween Costume for Kids
10. Marty McFly
11. Princess Wedding Dress Costume
12. Handmade Lalaloopsy Doll Costume
13. Homemade Toothless Costume
14. DIY Mermaid For Less Than $20 (No-Sew Option)
16. Mario and Luigi Go Kart Costumes
17. Dog The Bounty Hunter and Beth
18. Family Monsters University Costumes
19. Scooby Doo family costumes
21. Cheap and Easy DIY Spider Costume
27. Elsa crown
29. DIY Pineapple Baby Costume
32. Disney Planes Costume: Dipper
34. Easy Costume Idea – Renaissance Girl
35. 10 Minute Homemade Jellyfish Costume
36. DIY Cat Costume
38. Easy Frozen Costumes (Carrisa!!)
39. Easy Greek Goddess Costume
40. DIY Family Willy Wonka Costumes
41. DIY No Sew Maleficent Costume
42. No Sew Pineapple Halloween Costume
43. Graveyard Bean Bag Toss: Trunk or Treat Car Costume
44. DIY Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Costumes
45. DIY Raccoon Costume with Printable Mask
46. Easy WildStyle Lego Movie Costume
47. Simple Hello Kitty Costume
48. No Sew Minnie Mouse Costume
49. DIY Inspector Gadget and Penny Costumes
50. DIY Frozen Elsa Dress Baby Edition
51. Fairy Princess Dog Costume
52. DIY Hashtag Halloween Costume
53. Toddler or Baby Egg Costume
57. Baby Short Stack Pancake Costume
58. Elephant and Piggie Halloween Costumes
59. Instagram Halloween Costume
60. Peter Pan & Mr. Smee Halloween Costume
61. Wildstyle Costume from the Lego Movie
62. Fred and Wilma Couples Costume
64. DIY Cruella de Vil Costume for a child
65. Disney Frozen Olaf Halloween Treat Bucket
66. How to Make a Minecraft Steve Head
69. No Sew Cupcake Baker Halloween Costume
70. DIY Skunk Mask
71. Ghostbusters Proton Pack DIY
72. Frozen Anna Costume Tutorial
74. Paw Patrol Halloween Costume
75. No Sew Toothless Dragon Costume
78. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Costume
79. Thrifted Gentleman Spy DIY Halloween Costume
80. DIY Boy Garden Gnome Costume
81. Group Costume: Bob Ross, Happy Tree, & Squirrel
82. DIY Blues Brothers Costumes
86. Easy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Costume
87. Handmade Teddy Bear Costume
88. Princess Elsa and the Spy Kid
Do you have plans to make Halloween costumes for your family? If so I’d love to hear all about them.
Hey I love the idea! But when I went over to Office Depot they told me it will be pixelled when I blow it up. How did you get around the pixalation or was it a non-issue??
Thanks!!! I know this costume will be a hit this weekend!
#57 Baby Short Stack is my favorite!! So clever. I really love the Instagram — perfect for photo booth poses too.
Theresa @DearCreatives says
Hi Mique, Your Instagram costume is adorable! Great round up of costumes too. Pinning to my costume board. Happy Fall!
Hani Shabbir says
Great idea! I love it.
LOVE IT! and you made it a .gif. LOVE IT MORE!
Robin Bennett says
What a cute idea, Mique!
Minecraft Steve (#3) isn’t working.