Easy Baked Macaroni and Cheese

I don’t remember having macaroni and cheese from a box too often in my childhood.  But I loved it.  When I married Josh I quickly found out he was not a fan.  He had hot dogs added to his growing up and couldn’t get past that.  About ten years ago I found a recipe for baked macaroni and cheese.  He was sold.  Enter the easiest baked macaroni and cheese:

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Ok. So it takes a little more effort than the out of the box kind. But not much. And it tastes way better.

Easy Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Recipe Type: Main Dish
Cuisine: American
Author: Mique from Thirty Handmade Days
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Easy and delicious baked macaroni and cheese.
Ingredients
  • 12 oz. bag elbow macaroni
  • 2 c. (1 pint) heavy whipping cream
  • 8 oz. bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 8 oz. bag shredded four cheese blend
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup chopped onions (walla walla or vidalia if available)
  • garlic powder
  • ground black pepper
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400.
  2. Bring water to boil, then add pasta.
  3. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes (as directed on package).
  4. While macaroni cooks, chop onions to desired consistency. Saute in a saucepan with 1 Tbsp. butter.
  5. Drain pasta and rinse with hot water.
  6. Place pasta back into pot with 2 tbsp butter and stir to cover so pasta does not stick.
  7. Stir in sauteed onions and cheese.
  8. Pour in heavy whipping cream and stir until nicely mixed.
  9. Add garlic powder and black pepper to taste.
  10. Scoop mixture into covered casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes, then check for desired bubbliness. ;).
  11. Enjoy!

I have now ruined my daughter who doesn’t like mac and cheese from a box but prefers baked.  She was so excited when I made this again recently.  Cheesy, gooey goodness on a plate:

Looking for some other main dish recipes? Here are some more of our family favorites:

Salsa Chicken
Mom’s Chicken Enchiladas
Cheesy Asparagus Chicken
Butter Chicken
Taco Bake
Dr. Pepper Chicken

Comments

I usually make mine in the oven, too. I just replace the onions (’cause I hate them) with a little bit of instant vegetable broth, and part of the cream with milk =) Nothing beats tasty, cheesy pasta!

Hi Anja- I forgot to add that onions are optional but they add the taste. I like your idea of vegetable broth instead. And milk can be substituted too. Thanks for the comment. And yes- nothing beats cheesy pasta! ;)

2. Jen U says

Love the simplicity of this–and looks so delicious!! I think when my sister has made baked Mac and cheese she put breadcrumbs on the top…adds a bit of texture. I think I’ll be making this for lunch today with some buttery breadcrumbs baked on top! :) Thank you for sharing!

3. Trish says

I made this for dinner last night. It was so delish. My daugther Camryn loved it. It’s our new Halloween Tradition. Thanks for the recipe.

Trish- yay!! So happy to hear that. My kids love this too because it’s simple. You can’t really go wrong. Hope you had a great Halloween! xo

4. Dana says

Made this for the kids’ play date. I omitted the onions. It was delicious but also very greasy. I will not add the butter next time, and maybe also cut down on the whipping cream (sub in some low-fat milk for a healthier option). Very popular!

5. Selina says

Saw this on Pinterest and your picture caught my eye. Looks delicious. I just came back from the grocery store with the ingredients :) I bought a Spanish onion since my store didn’t have many options. Can’t wait to try this :) I might add some small chunks of tomato…hmmmm.

6. Patti says

I just made this, it is in the oven now. I had to taste it, and there is more than would fit in my casserole dish. Omg! So very good! The onion and Harris add a different flavor and I think my older daughter will like it. She doesn’t like Mac n cheese. This will be liked for sure! Thanks!