I don’t remember having macaroni and cheese from a box too often in my childhood. But I loved it. When I married Josh I quickly found out he was not a fan. He had hot dogs added to his growing up and couldn’t get past that. About ten years ago I found a recipe for baked macaroni and cheese. He was sold. Enter the easiest baked macaroni and cheese:
Ok. So it takes a little more effort than the out of the box kind. But not much. And it tastes way better.
- 12 oz. bag elbow macaroni
- 2 c. (1 pint) heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. bag shredded four cheese blend
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onions (walla walla or vidalia if available)
- garlic powder
- ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Bring water to boil, then add pasta.
- Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes (as directed on package).
- While macaroni cooks, chop onions to desired consistency. Saute in a saucepan with 1 Tbsp. butter.
- Drain pasta and rinse with hot water.
- Place pasta back into pot with 2 tbsp butter and stir to cover so pasta does not stick.
- Stir in sauteed onions and cheese.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream and stir until nicely mixed.
- Add garlic powder and black pepper to taste.
- Scoop mixture into covered casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes, then check for desired bubbliness. ;).
I have now ruined my daughter who doesn’t like mac and cheese from a box but prefers baked. She was so excited when I made this again recently. Cheesy, gooey goodness on a plate:
Looking for some other main dish recipes? Here are some more of our family favorites: