I’m pretty convinced that there is nothing better than baked macaroni and cheese. And this easy baked mac and cheese recipe is at the top of my list.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
I don’t remember having macaroni and cheese from a box too often in my childhood. But I loved it. When I married Josh I quickly found out he was not a fan. He had hot dogs added to his growing up and couldn’t get past that. About ten years ago I found a recipe for baked macaroni and cheese. He was sold. Enter the easiest baked macaroni and cheese. And if you’re looking for slow cooker macaroni and cheese, you have to try my recipe for that!
How to Make Mac and Cheese
There are several ways that you can make macaroni and cheese but the best kinds involve butter and some good cheese. The type of cheese you use is up to you. I like a four cheese blend because it gives it variety. But sharp cheddar is great for mac and cheese. The great news about this recipe is that you can use it as a base and experiment with it!
If you like this recipe, you’ll love these too:
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Easy Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 12 oz elbow macaroni
- 2 c heavy whipping cream 1 pint
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 oz four cheese blend shredded
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 c onions chopped (walla walla or vidalia if available)
- garlic powder
- ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Bring water to boil, then add pasta.
- Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes (as directed on package).
- While macaroni cooks, chop onions to desired consistency. Saute in a saucepan with 1 tbsp butter.
- Drain pasta and rinse with hot water.
- Place pasta back into pot with 2 tbsp butter and stir to cover so pasta does not stick.
- Stir in sauteed onions and cheese.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream and stir until nicely mixed.
- Add garlic powder and black pepper to taste.
- Scoop mixture into covered casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes, then check for desired bubbliness. ;).
I have now ruined my daughter who doesn’t like mac and cheese from a box but prefers baked. She was so excited when I made this again recently. Cheesy, gooey goodness on a plate: