Sweet Stocking Stuffer – Handmade Owl Heat Pack

stocking stuffer idea- handmade heat pack tutorial

Hi there friends! Hope everyone is surviving the countdown to Christmas! I can’t believe we only have…. a couple of weeks. oh yo, I need to get crackin’.  We are always searching for awesomely unique and super rad ideas for gifts. Today we are going to do a quick tutorial on our owl warmer guys. We first made these for our own kiddlets and after a few requests decided to sell them. And now we are sharing the secrets so you can make them too!! I know, Happy Holidays ya’ll. These are really pretty simple and only require a few scraps and some rice. And a sewing machine too….

We have provided a pattern at the end of this post…

Just grab a couple cordinating fabrics and a white and black scrap for the owl’s eyes.

Easy Peasy. For realzy.

Cut a pattern for the front of your little owl buddy and a solid color for the back. We use all different types of fabrics but have found that cotton works really well for the microwave. I measure down from the top a bit and sew the nose on first. (mess around with placement for the eyes and nose)

Start with the bigger circle of a solid fabric and sew onto the front body then a cordinating fabric on top of that. Then I sew on the little black eye. Really, every owl looks different and you can’t really go wrong with this.  Then I start on the bottom edge and sew all the way around leaving about a 1/4 seam (I prefer the edges to fray…it looks super cute). When you come around to the other side leave about two inches to fill your owl with rice. Then carefully (over a bowl works nice, it’s messy) fill with rice. I just leave enough room to still hold edges together and sew the remanding two inches closed.

Tada! Super cute owl warmer. This is a great neighbor gift or teacher gift.. or stocking stuffer… my kids sleep with them every night. I even heat one up and put it in the carseat with my baby (over a blanket so she doesn’t get too hot). I put mine in the microwave for about 15 seconds and just check on it to see if it needs more… every microwave is different, so be cautious it could be hot!!

Hope this helps check off at least one thing from your list! Happy Holidays!!

xoxo-Devenie and Shawna

stocking stuffer tutorial 1

stocking stuffer tutorial 2

Check out another fun version of stocking stuffer- a fox hand warmer!
DIY Fox Stocking Stuffers + Hand Warmer www.thirtyhandmadedays.com

Salty Bison
Salty Bison is the brain child of Devenie Boyer and Shawna Andreasen. Its humble beginnings consisted of a tiny garage and a messy kitchen table. With 10 kids between the two of them their "work from home" experience has left a trail of mismatched shoes, watermelon rinds and power tools. When their husbands are in charge of the littles you can often spot them prowling through scrap yards and thrift stores. Their upcycled custom work has appeared in restaurants, businesses and homes across the country. And how do they accomplish this you ask...with a steady diet of mint brownies and bruschetta. Their items are sold in their etsy shop and at major handcrafted events throughout the western states.
Salty Bison

Latest posts by Salty Bison (see all)

Comments

1. Julie says

I love this cute little owl heat pack and your suggestion to make them for stocking stuffers. They’ll be filling ours this year…thanks so much for the pattern. I just found your blog through Pinterest and am now following you on both! Love what I’ve seen so far and can’t wait to read your older posts.

I just made 2 of these last night and LOVE them:). Thank you so much for a great tutorial. I’d love to post an image of the ones I made on my site, and will link back to you. Already pinned this page to Pinterest as well:). Happy Holidays!!

It should be fun to buy a new car! Driving a new
    car is such a great experience, and purchasing the car should
    be fun as well. A lot of people would rather skip the whole purchasing process.
    Keep the stress to a minimum using these tips.

4. Kathryn says

So darling and so very kind of you to share this pattern! This Nana of two darling grandbabies will be stitching a couple of these cuties up this afternoon. Thank you, thank you,thank you!

5. Susan says

Any idea how wool would work in the microwave…I’ve got some sweaters that I snagged at Goodwill and felted and keep around….need to get crackin on those too!

6. Kathryn says

Thanks so much for sharing this darling project! I stitched up a dozen and my daughter snatched up six of them, my sister nabbed four and I was left with two. Time to get stitching up another dozen. This project is a real winner. You are so kind to include the pattern. Again, thank you!

Gosh, the owl version is just as cute as the fox one! And I’d love to do one with a few owls stitched together, all nestled on a branch or something, and fill the whole ‘line’ of owls with rice to make a long warmer suitable for a lumbar warming pillow for my really crummy back pain. Cute and comforting. ;) Thanks so much for the darling idea!

Hugs & Hope,
    rachel of OddModicum

8. Nicole says

These are too cute and would be an awesome stocking stuffer for my girls. Does anyone know the finished size of these? When I printed out the pattern, the owl body was around 5 1/2″ and seemed much smaller than the photos. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

9. Amy Pinson says

Thank you so much for this idea and pattern. My daughter and I made these for her classmates Christmas gifts. They turned out so cute! We added some lavender in with our rice. Thank you again!!!

My partner and I stumbled over here from a different web page and thought I should check things out.
    I like what I see so i am just following you.
    Look forward to finding out about your web page again.

Feel free to visit my web-site: give it to me

you are in reality a just right webmaster.

The web site loading velocity is incredible.
    It kind of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick.
    Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a great process in this matter!

12. zoe says

Thank you for posting this, love the pattern and I feel pretty confident I could fudge my way through! Lol
    Pretty amazing how you come up with such cool stuff with all those kids!

13. Deb says

Trouble is mice like to eat the rice and grain that I have used so have stopped making heat pads like this as it encourages vermin. Any suggestions?