About a month or so ago Josh made the decision to change his eating habits. We’ve had many conversations about diet, exercise and health in our 17 years of marriage. He used to eat lots and lots of meat. Like if I didn’t serve a meal with meat in it (chicken and beef mainly), he didn’t consider it a real meal. But he wanted to eat more plant based and so that’s what he’s been doing. No dairy, no meat but some fish. He’s felt better and has lost a significant amount of weight. One of the things he’s missed is treats. He’s never really been big into sweets but going from eating whatever he felt like to no sweets, is a drastic change. I looked around a bit to see if I could find some alternatives and found several recipes with coconut oil. One of them was coconut oil rice crispy treats. They are so so so easy like the regular ones. You just switch out butter for coconut oil.
I wanted to add a bit more flavor and richness so I added some vanilla and Silk Coconut Milk. Josh has tried a few different types of substitutes for milk and this one is at the top of the list. Silk has a whole campaign for Meatless Mondays to encourage a more plant based diet. They have all kinds of recipes and ideas.
Coconut Oil Rice Crispy Treats
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 c rice crispy cereal
- While melting the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat, add marshmallows and stir.
- Remove from the stove before fully melted (there should be some lumps still but not too big) and add coconut milk and vanilla.
- Gradually stir in rice crispy cereal and fold until combined.
- Add to an 8x8 greased pan (coconut oil to grease the pan is a great alternative to baking spray or butter).
- Let stand for up to 2 hours to firm up.
- Cut in squares and serve.
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.