The Olympics start this week (do you have your Opening Ceremony Bingo Cards printed yet?)!!! I’m super excited. Are you? In anticipation of the the games, I’m making meals from countries around the world.
My mother-in-law is from Switzerland- known for it’s chocolate and cheese. And Swatch watches. But I digress…..one of the recipes our family loves is her Birchermuesli. It’s a Swiss take on fruit salad. If you are going for a “pretty” dish- this isn’t it. But it is healthy and good. Really good.
To start you add 2 cups of milk to 1 1/2 cups of quick oats and let sit for 20 minutes:
While that’s soaking, you cut up fruit: (mmmmmmm)
Then you add the oats mix to the fruit:
Want to make your own? You know you wanna….
Bircher Muesli (Swiss Fruit Salad)
- 1 ½ c quick oats
- 2 c milk
- 2-3 bananas
- 3-4 peaches
- 3-4 nectarines
- 3-4 apricots
- 3-4 plums
- 1 c grapes
- 1 c strawberries
- ½ c sugar (or more or less to taste)
- 4 oz Cool Whip (or more or less to taste)
- Mix 1 ½ c quick oats with 2 c milk.
- Let stand for 20 mins.
- In the meantime, cut up 2-3 bananas, 3-4 peaches, 3-4 nectarines, 3-4 apricots, 3-4 plums, a cup of grapes, strawberries or whatever you have.
- Mix the fruit with the oat mixture.
- Add sugar to taste and mix Cool Whip with it.
- If you like you can add some finely grated hazelnuts.
Classic Pasta Salad
Lemon Dijon Salad
Southwestern Rice & Bean Salad
Tell me- do you have any recipes from around the world? What are your favorites?