This Italian Turkey Soup is an easy and delicious way to use up your leftover turkey. And it can also be made with chicken!
In anticipation of the turkey leftovers you may be dealing with on Friday and the lack of desire to cook you will probably have, I thought I’d share one of my favorite easy ways to use up leftover turkey – Italian Turkey Soup!
I have also made this soup with chicken and it is just as delicious but since you may be dealing with an over abundance of turkey on Friday let’s use turkey!
The soup uses a combination of onion, green peppers, celery, jalapeno and tomatoes.
Combine that with some fun shaped pasta. I used Ditalini which is a short macaroni style pasta but you could really use any shape. Be sure and cook your pasta al dente because once you put it in the soup it will continue to cook and expand and you don’t want your pasta taking over your soup!! I used a combination of oregano and basil to season the soup and then added in some cream. The cream is optional but it is oh so nice!
Turkey Soup Recipe
Italian Turkey Soup
- 8 oz pasta (1/2 box) I used Ditalini or a short macaroni type pasta
- 2 c turkey (or chicken) shredded
- 4 c chicken broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 whole jalapeno seeded and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 30 oz petite cut tomatoes
- 1 can water
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to directions. Be sure and cook it al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a frying pan add olive oil, onion, celery, green pepper, jalapeno and saute until tender.
- In a large soup pot combine chicken broth, water, shredded turkey or chicken, tomatoes with their juice and sauteed vegetables.
- Add in herbs. Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in pasta and cream.
If you like this recipe, you’ll like this other leftover turkey recipe too:
- Chicken Spaghetti (Turkey Tetrazzini)
Oooo, looks and sounds delicious.
The soup looks yummy, but I’m stuck on the color combination of those dishes and the placemat. Lovely.
Dawn St Amand Paoletta says
THis looks yummy!