Help me welcome Leigh Anne from Your Home Based Mom back. She’s sharing a twist on traditional salads that would be perfect for your Christmas dinner.
The countdown is on. Are you ready? My shopping is done and gifts are wrapped so I’ve been working on our Christmas dinner menu. I’m adding a few new recipes this year to our traditional ones. My kids don’t let me stray to far from our traditional menu but I can usually get away with trying some type of new salad.
I love it when people share new recipes with me and a few weeks ago my 27 year old son shared this recipe with me – don’t you love it! The recipe came from a caterer that he has worked with for some of his work events. I test drove it last week and it was a winner so it will be joining the Christmas Dinner Menu.
This salad has lots of fun flavors and textures.
There is the crunch of a nice crisp apple. Leave the skin on for some color. I used a golden delicious apple but a pear would work nicely too. Pomegrante seeds add a nice holiday touch and some pretty color and well as texture.
And for even a little more crunch sprinkle some crushed hazelnuts on top. I love the flavor of hazelnuts and they are plentiful here in Oregon.
I used a combination of baby spinach and a nice spring greens mix.
The salad is then topped with a nice lemon dijon vinagrette. Yum! A perfect Christmas dinner menu choice.
Lemon Dijon Salad
- 12 oz Mixed Greens and Baby Spinach
- ⅓ c chopped Roasted Hazelnuts
- ½ c chopped Golden Delicious Apple
- ⅓ c Pomegranate Seeds
- ½ c Stone Ground Mustard Vinaigrette (See below)
For the Vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tbsp Whole-Grain Mustard
- 1 tsp Dijon Style Mustard
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Combine all ingredients (chop the apples and hazelnuts) in a large bowl.
- Set aside while you make the vinaigrette.
For the Vinaigrette:
- Combine the lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, and mustards in the blender.
- With motor running slowly add the olive and canola oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.