We love crockpot meals around here. They make putting dinner together so easy! This Crockpot Chicken Tinga will be a family favorite for sure.
Normally, we make this with Pork, but in an effort to lighten things up I used Chicken. This recipe makes a large quantity, so you can make it to feed a crowd, have leftovers or freeze the remaining for another dinner another night.
What is chicken tinga?
So what in the world is tinga anyway? And why would you wan to make it? It’s a Mexican dish that’s made using shredded chicken in a sauce with tomatoes, chipotle chilis in adobo and onions. Most of the time it’s served in tacos or on a tostada. People typically add toppings like avocado, lettuce, cheese, and/or sour cream. The chiles give it a smokey flavor, different from other Mexican dishes.
Let’s start, shall we?
First, we make the sauce. Using a food processor, add 4 (14.5 oz) cans of roasted diced tomatoes (drained) and 3-4 chipotle peppers (in adobe sauce). You can find these ingredients in most grocery stores.
Continue adding to the food processor…1/2 of a yellow onion (chopped), 8 cloves of garlic (yes! EIGHT!), 1 tsp. dried oregano, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. cloves and 2 Tbsp. brown sugar.
Add 3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts to your crockpot. Season with salt and pepper and and pour sauce over chicken.
Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
Just before serving, mix in 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro. Serve over rice or with tortillas. Top with sour cream and diced avocados.
Chicken Tinga is healthy, tasty and a little spicy. Our whole family loves it and I hope yours does too!
Crockpot Chicken Recipes
If you like crockpot meals, you’ll like these too:
Chicken Tinga Recipe
If you love this Chicken Tinga Recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Crockpot Chicken Tinga
- 58 oz roasted diced tomatoes drained (4 14.5-oz cans)
- 3-4 chipotle peppers (in adobe sauce)
- ½ yellow onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast or pork shoulder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Place chicken breasts in crockpot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a food processor, blend tomatoes, chipotle peppers, onion, garlic, oregano, cinnamon, cloves and brown sugar.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Before serving, add chopped cilantro.
- Serve over hot rice or with warm tortillas.
- Top with avocado and/or sour cream.