We love crockpot meals around here. They make putting dinner together so easy! This Crockpot Chicken Tinga will be a family favorite for sure.
Normally, we make this with Pork, but in an effort to lighten things up I used Chicken. This recipe makes a large quantity, so you can make it to feed a crowd, have leftovers or freeze the remaining for another dinner another night.
Let’s start, shall we?
First, we make the sauce. Using a food processor, add 4 (14.5 oz) cans of roasted diced tomatoes (drained) and 3-4 chipotle peppers (in adobe sauce). You can find these ingredients in most grocery stores.
Continue adding to the food processor…1/2 of a yellow onion (chopped), 8 cloves of garlic (yes! EIGHT!), 1 tsp. dried oregano, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. cloves and 2 Tbsp. brown sugar.
Add 3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts to your crockpot. Season with salt and pepper and and pour sauce over chicken.
Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
Just before serving, mix in 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro. Serve over rice or with tortillas. Top with sour cream and diced avocados.
Chicken Tinga is healthy, tasty and a little spicy. Our whole family loves it and I hope yours does too!
If you like crockpot meals, you’ll like these too:
Here’s the recipe:
Crockpot Chicken Tinga
- 58 oz roasted diced tomatoes drained (4 14.5-oz cans)
- 3-4 chipotle peppers (in adobe sauce)
- ½ yellow onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast or pork shoulder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Place chicken breasts in crockpot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a food processor, blend tomatoes, chipotle peppers, onion, garlic, oregano, cinnamon, cloves and brown sugar.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Before serving, add chopped cilantro.
- Serve over hot rice or with warm tortillas.
- Top with avocado and/or sour cream.
Food photography and styling courtesy of My Name is Snickerdoodle.