An easy to make, family friendly meal – French Dip sandwiches with au jus sauce is the perfect comfort food that can be made in the slow cooker.
I’ve lived in Los Angeles for the last 19 years (!!) and didn’t know until recently that we claim the invention of French Dip sandwiches. There are conflicting reports on who first started it and why… but it’s neither here nor there as no matter how it came to be, this sandwich is tasty and easy to make. It makes for a hearty meal, full of flavor. Who can beat meat, cheese and bread with a dipping sauce?
To make this French Dip recipe, you’ll need:
While you can make french dip sandwiches a few ways, for this recipe you will pull out your slow cooker. You don’t have to put much thought into it and your family will love having a hot sandwich with dip at the end of a long day. Win/win! Here’s what you need:
- 1 rump roast – the size you want to get depends on the size of your family
- 1 packet of au jus gravy
- Provolone cheese
- Large crusty rolls
- slow cooker
See? You only need a few things to make this recipe and your family will never know it. Yum!
What is au jus?
So what in the world is au jus? The term au jus is French and it means “with juice.” You’ve probably heard it before but weren’t really sure what exactly it is used for. Au jus refers to meat dishes that are served with a light gravy or broth. That broth or gravy comes from the juices from the meat as it cooked. I’ve heard it mainly with french dip sandwiches but it can be used for several recipes.
Other Slow Cooker Sandwich Recipes:
If you love this easy French Dip recipe, you’re going to love these other slow cooker sandwich recipes. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Shredded Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Crockpot Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders
French Dip Recipe
If you love this French Dip recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH 30days!
French Dip Sandwich Recipe
- 1 rump roast size depends on the size of your family!
- 1 packet au jus gravy
- 3 c water cold
- Provolone cheese
- large crusty rolls
- Place roast, au jus and 3 c cold water in crockpot.
- Cook on low until roast is done, 3-5 hours (*depending on the size of the roast).
- Cut rolls in half, past in oven with provolone cheese on one half.
- Slice roast and place on rolls.
- Use leftover au jus sauce in crockpot for dipping.