Nothing says summer like pie. Add lemon to the title and I’m a goner. This Refrigerator Lemon Pie is 5 star worthy- you’ll make it again and again! This recipe was originally shared by Lara from Less Cake, More Frosting for Funner in the Summer.
Summer, summer, summer time! I look forward all year to peaches, watermelons, berries and all things lemon. I’m not much of a chocolate fan but give me anything fruity and I’m in heaven. This cool lemon pie recipe is one that can’t be beat.
With fresh lemons and a graham cracker crust, it’s so refreshing! Depending on how much time you have an energy you want to put into it, you can do all from scratch or use a pre-made graham cracker crust and lemon concentrate. There’s something satisfying about squeezing lemons though – so it might be worth it to do that step!
I love that this lemon pie sits in the fridge until it’s nice and cool, making it perfect for a hot day. We get into the 100’s in my area over the summer and this recipe cools me right off.
If you like this recipe, you’ll like these too:
Lemon Pie Recipe
Your choice to go from scratch, or use some semi-homemade ingredients. Either way, I know you’ll love it:
- 1 c. graham crackers
- ⅓ c. butter, melted
- (or pre-made graham cracker crust)
- ½ c. lemon juice (fresh or from concentrate)
- 1½ tsp unflavored gelatin
- 2 eggs
- 3 TBSP sugar
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Start by crushing up 1 cup of Graham Crackers. (I just pulse them in a food processor)
- Then add ⅓ cup melted butter
- Mix the two ingredients into a pie pan and press the mixture evenly along the bottom, and up the sides
- (you could also purchase a pre-made graham cracker crust at the store....if you really want to make it easy!)
- In a saucepan mix ½ cup lemon juice and1½ teaspoon unflavored gelatin (this is found in the Jello isle in most grocery stores).
- Mix over low heat until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Separate 2 eggs.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add 3 Tablespoons sugar and beat again until shiny.
- Separately, mix the yolks with 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Slowly stir in the gelatin mixture (from the stove) with the yolk and milk mixture.
- Add the egg white mixture to the yolk mixture and fold together with a large spoon until incorporated.
- Add the whipped mixture into the cracker crust and smooth until evenly distributed.
- Chill the pie for 2-3 hours before serving to allow gelatin to set.
- Serve chilled.