One Skillet Lasagna comes together easily and quickly – one pan and about 30 minutes and you have dinner ready!
I can count the number of times I have actually made lasagna from scratch on one hand, I probably wouldn’t even need all my fingers. If we have lasagna it usually comes from Chef Costco. There are several reasons why I don’t like making it from scratch. The first being I hate boiling the noodles. They always stick together. Second, it takes way too many pans to make lasagna and I don’t like the mess.
Well, I have solved all those problems with today’s recipe. I no longer have an excuse! This one skillet lasagna is the perfect solution. There is no boiling of noodles and only one pan to clean up.
I used my trusty old cast iron skillet for this recipe. I love that thing. You want a skillet that can go from stovetop to oven. I started by browning up my hamburger, sausage, onion and garlic all together in the pan.
I then added in the crushed tomatoes and the jar of spaghetti sauce (you can of course use homemade if you have it on hand.) Bring that to a low boil and then add in your broken lasagna noodles. Just break them into about 4 pieces each. You want the noodles to be immersed in the sauce.
Bring it to a low boil and then turn to a simmer and cover it for about 20-25 minutes. The noodles will absorb the liquid and soften. I used regular lasagna noodles. I know there are no boil ones but the regular ones worked fine.
After the noodles are tender and soft the way you like them (I like mine slightly al dente) add in your Parmesan cheese and mozzarella. Then I put the pan into the oven under the broiler to melt the cheese and brown it up.
Add a sprinkle of fresh basil and dinner is served! It’s delicious and there is only one pan to clean!! Just grab a fork!
Some of my favorite recipes using a cast iron pan:
One Skillet Lasagna
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 14 oz spaghetti sauce your favorite
- ½ c onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ lb hamburger
- ½ lb Italian sausage mild
- ½ c Parmesan cheese shredded
- 5-6 slices Mozzarella cheese
- 8 lasagna noodles
- fresh basil for garnish
- In a large oven proof skillet brown the hamburger and sausage with the onion and garlic. Cook until meat is cooked through. Drain fat if needed
- Add in crushed tomatoes and spaghetti sauce. Heat through and bring to a low boil.
- Add in broken noodles. Cover with sauce.
- Bring to a low boil and cover.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook covered for about 20-25 minutes or until noodles are the desired doneness.
- Stir occasionally. Make sure noodles stay covered with sauce.
- When noodles are done, stir in Parmesan cheese and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Place in oven on broil and let cheese melt and get a bit brown on top.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve.