Dr. Pepper Chicken

I had some left over Dr Pepper (???) and had to put it to good use.  Remember, given enough Dr. Pepper I could rule the world…..so  I made the easiest main dish ever- a chicken recipe- and my family loved it.  They’ve been asking for Dr. Pepper Chicken ever since.  I’ve tried different variations of Dr. Pepper Chicken but I didn’t add as much Dr. Pepper and combined ketchup and barbecue sauce because it was thicker and tastier.  Here’s my take:

Chicken recipe

Dr Pepper Chicken
Recipe Type: Main Dish
Author: Mique from 30days

Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 4 -6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 c. Dr. Pepper
  • 1/2 c. barbecue sauce
  • 1/2 c. ketchup
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Salt and pepper chicken and arrange in a 13 x 9 baking dish.
  2. Mix together 1/2 cup of Dr. Pepper, 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce and 1/2 cup of ketchup.
  3. Pour it over the chicken. Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 1 hour.
  4. Serve with rice.

Looking for other main dish ideas?  Here are some of our family favorites:
Salsa Chicken
Mom’s Chicken Enchiladas
Cheesy Asparagus Chicken
Butter Chicken
Taco Bake

Comments

I love Dr. Pepper in small doses. I always wind up throwing half of the can away. What a great recipe and way for me to use the leftovers up. Thanks!!!

2. Rebecca says

I love to braise beef roasts in Dr Pepper, add a little tomato sauce, garlic, onion, and chipolte if you like spicy

3. Nicole says

This is in the Fridge,ready to go in the oven when we get home tonight. This and a salad man is it dinner time yet.

4. Vicki says

This is a really good. I have done this for a long time. It is also good on ribs, Pork Chops and in a sauce to put over Meat Loaf. For Meat Loaf it is very simple. Make your meat loaf like you like to make it. Then for topping use half a can of Dr. Pepper. Half 1/4 cup Ketchup 1/4 cup of Barba Q sauce two Tsp of Brown Sugar and one half of not jelly but whole Cranberry sauce in can. Mix and coat Meat Loaf. Telling you it is awesome.

5. Richard Holder says

I have not tried this recipebut i have used actual Dr Pepper BBQ sauce on burgers and ckicken.

6. Judith Dembowski says

Can this work with just Dr Pepper, no sugar or starch? I have NASH and I can’t eat sugars or starches (they caused it in the first place) so I was thinking maybe marinade the meat in DP and salt and pepper then grill or bake. Sounds so good, think I’ll try it and see what happens. ( no diet DP, it is bad for the liver even if there is no liver disease). Hope I’m not the last Texan to learn about this!

7. Stephanie says

I’m a beginner cook and I thought there was no way I could screw this up. It was so good! I only did two chicken breasts and cut the ingredients down. Thanks for the recipe!

8. Jessica says

My friend made sure I sawthe recipe on Pinterest since I’m a DP addict. I made it today & really enjoyed it. After it baked as directed I shredded the chicken so it could soak up all the sauce. Excellent summertime sandwich!

9. olivia says

Making it tonight!! In the oven n it smells amazing!! My son an my boyfriend can’t wait til its done!! Thank u for the idea!!

I want to try this Dr . Pepper chicken but I was wondering how would it turn out if I put it in the crook pot? Would it still turn out the same or no?

11. Bruce H says

Wow!! We do Pepsi Roast at our house in the crock and now Dr. Pepper Chicken. Can’t wait to try! DON’T use diet. The aspartame changes when it is heated over a certain degree and then becomes a different chemical. It’s the real sugar that carmelizes that’s part of the great flavor!

12. Melissa says

I was wondering what kind of BBQ sauce everyone is using? Or will just any BBQ sauce do. If you do put it in the crock-pot, how long do you let it cook? It sounds so good, I can’t wait to try it. May have to try it with a few different BBQ sauces! LOL

• Stephanie says

You can put it in the crock pot on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 6-8. This is a general rule for chicken in the crock pot.