Stick of Butter Rice- the best rice you’ll ever eat

I’m about to share with you my favorite side dish of all time. Just thinking about this rice makes my mouth water. It is beyond simple but it tastes AMAZING. It might have to do with the butter ratio.  But that’s beside the point.   I’m not sure what the name of it really is – it should be called brown rice.  But regular “brown rice” is healthy and kind of crunchy.  This most definitely is neither of those.  So I took it upon myself to name it “Stick of Butter Rice” because (you guessed it), it has a stick of butter in it.  Yes I realize might be ridiculous to post this recipe the day after I posted a food journal.   But that’s just the way it goes….
Stick of Rice Butter- the best rice you will ever eat.  Promise.  www.thirtyhandmadedays.com

As much as I love this rice, Josh mentioned that I might not want to post it because it doesn’t look very good.  He has a point.  You eat with your eyes first.   But I’m here to tell you that it does not matter if it looks like insects.  It only matters that it is the best and that you will sing praises after trying it.   My Mom says she got this one from my great-grandma.  I have funny memories with her yelling at my great-grandpa in their little cute house.

This is how the rice will look when you put it together.  It WILL taste good.  www.thirtyhandmadedays.com

So this is what it looks like when you are ready to put it into the oven.  Kind of scary.   BUT it will turn out.  Just trust me on this.  I wanted to show you so that you wouldn’t freak out when you made it.

Stick of Butter Rice- the best rice you’ll ever eat

Ingredients

• 1 c. uncooked white rice (NOT instant)
  • 1 (10 oz) can of Condensed French Onion Soup
  • 1 (10 oz) can of Beef Broth
  • 1/2 c. of butter, sliced

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • In a 9x9 inch baking dish combine rice, soup and broth.
  • Cut butter into slices and place on top of the mixture.
  • Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
  • Remove cover and bake 30 minutes more.

Notes

This can be doubled or tripled to feed more. Optional: small can of drained mushrooms can be added as well.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

The best side dish of all time - Stick of Butter Rice www.thirtyhandmadedays.com
I made this to go with Beef Enchiladas (recipe coming soon) but it’s more traditional with a roast, chicken, etc.  Josh was finishing up his last final for his first semester of law school and I wanted to make him something nice to power him up.

If you’re looking for more healthy side dishes, I have over 25 for you to try out:
Over 25 Delicious & Healthy Side Dishes www.thirtyhandmadedays.com

Comments

1. patti k says

Oooh..Mique! I have been looking for this recipe for many years. I had it once; my cousin’s wife made it with a beef roast when we were visiting years ago. I have craved it since then! We just called it “Pam’s Brown Rice” . Just wanted to question the size of dish…your recipe says use a 9×13 and believe she used a square dish (9×9 ?). Would that affect the cooking time since the ingredients are distributed differently? Thanks for sharing this!

Hi Patti- glad you found this recipe! ;) I crave it all the time too. It actually says on the recipe to use a 9×9. If you used a 9×13 pan I think it would affect the time of cooking because it wouldn’t be as compact (for lack of a better word?).

• patti k says

Thanks for clarifying…I guess I was looking at this too early in the day; my eyes saw 9×13! I was also confused by the fact the dish in your photo appeared to be 9×9. Please forgive my error :-). I do have everything in my cupboard to make this so it will probably be some where in my meal plan this week! By the way…I don’t think it looks like insects. It looks delicious!

• mickey says

That’s too funny, I read (skimmed) 9X13, I’ve been doing a similar recipe for years, only I use my trusty rice cooker and chicken broth instead.

• steve says

Well if you use a rice cooker, you can’t bake it unless you transfer the cooked rice to a baking dish…

My mom is appalled at the things I cook in my rice cooker.

2. SHERRY says

I’ve been looking for a great rice dish forever and this one sounds delicious. I’m making it today. Hope my kids and grandkids love this too.

3. Lori says

I am making this right now and just realized that I did not cover for the first 30 min of cooking time. Hopefully it doesn’t dry out too much!

It smells fantastic! Hope all goes well.

Thanks!

4. Mary Childress says

looks pretty good! I make rice (any kind) with chicken broth and butter and onions. Sometimes with sliced almonds or/ and mixed veges.

5. Shelley Enright says

My Sister-in-law gave me this recipe a couple years ago but she calls it Dirty Rice. We do add the sliced mushrooms and we use beef consommé instead of regular broth. It’s amazing. I’ve even learned how to make it in my digital rice cooker. No fuss. :)

6. Robynn says

My roommate in college taught me this and my family has loved it. We put diced onions in as we melt the butter on stovetop then add the other ingredients. Turns out perfect every time. And for those asking abut using less butter-we have made with half stick and it still comes out buttery and yummy!

7. Stefanie Silveira says

I love this rice. We call it Dirty Rice in our family and add a can of mushrooms and a can of sliced olives. Amazeballs delish!!!!!

• Dee says

I make a pork chop and rice dish that I crave several times a year. It is really good!

Spray a 9×9 casserole dish with cooking spray. Place 1 cup raw white rice in dish. Add chopped onions and sliced mushrooms. (I have sauteed them or left them raw, seems to make no difference in the finished product. Also have used fresh and/or canned mushrooms, whatever I have on hand.) Place browned pork chops on top. Pour 2 cans of beef consomme over chops and rice. Cover tightly with foil. Cook at 350 for 1 hour.

I realize this comment was left some time ago. I hope you see it!

8. Nadine in NC says

I’ve been using a similar recipe for over 30 years. My recipe has me melt the butter and saute a small chopped onion before adding the other ingredients. For those on a budget, I have also had success with using beef base (that i buy at Sam’s Club) and 2 1/2 (to three) cups of water instead of the soups. You can control how much beef flavor it has using the base and you can also make the rice softer by increasing the water. For a really easy main dish, just add chopped pork loin to the onions when sauteing them and bake it covered for about 45 minutes.

9. Melissa says

We call it bullion rice but your name is way better! Lol…We love this recipe….I also add a can of mushrooms. I usually serve it with ham steaks but it goes so well with so much!
    _

10. Nancy says

Hi just wondering where you get the can of condensed onion soup. Looking forward to making this. Thanks. Nancy

11. Isabel says

Has anyone tried making this in the microwave or on top of the stove? Would the amount of ingredients be the same?

Hi Mique! Can I tell you how much I love rice – and how absolutely incredible this looks? Wow, I can’t wait to try this! Thank you SO much for joining us and sharing at Best of the Weekend. Pinning and sharing! Hope you are having a happy and wonderful week!

Ok, sometimes the best tasting dishes don’t look very appetizing. This one sounds delicious. I am a huge fan of french onion soup, so with that as the base then add in some beef broth to make it more rich in flavor and butter! Totally believe you, bet this is awesome. Pinning Mique, thanks for sharing at Show Stopper my dear! :)

14. linda says

I used to make a rice casserole similar to this years ago. The recipe was in a cookbook that my mom bought for me when I first got married – it was put together by a Senior Citizens group – so this recipe has been around for a long, long time! The recipe differed in that it called for:

4 cups water
    1 cup uncooked rice
    1 stick butter or margarine, cut up
    1 pkg. Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix
    1 – 3 ounce can sliced mushrooms (fresh sautéed sliced mushrooms would probably be even better!)

The directions are the same as yours!!! I used to double, and sometimes triple, this for a side dish for parties and it always turned out great. People always asked for the recipe, too!

I hope you don’t mind that I posted this variation! Your post made me want to bring out and make the recipe again!

Linda

15. Jen says

This is the best rice ever! My family has been making it for years…we call it “Shore Rice” since it was a quick and easy favorite when we would spend summers at the beach.

16. Ashley says

My mom made this growing up, except she put a few bone in pork chops (center cut) on top of the rice mixture and used Campbell’s beef consome instead of broth for a richer flavor. Delicious!

17. Michelle says

Hi my mother made this all the time. She added mushrooms everyone loves it. We call it Rice Casserole. Delicious!

18. Allison says

OMG, this is sooooo good!

I could eat the whole pan. I didn’t have a 9×9 pan only an 8×11 or 8×8. I chose the 8×11 but next time I think the 8×8 would work better.

Let me say this again, OMG, soooooo good!

Looks yummy. I make a similar rice in the rice cooker. I fry bacon, cook the rice with 1 teaspoon of he bacon grease, instead of butter, and add crumbled bacon when the rice is done. It’s delicious!

20. Jilene says

Okay this looks so good and I read every comment and they have given me so many ideas to try can’t wait to make some yummy rice for the family.

21. Julie says

I pinned this on Pinterest weeks ago and just made it. Definitely a keeper. It is delicious and so very easy. Thanks for sharing.

22. Christina says

I made this a few weeks ago with a roast and we loved it. I made a few changes based on what I had on my pantry. So good. My husband and all of our children loved it. ( I doubled to feed us all.) I am under the weather today and craving this but don’t have any of the ingredients other than rice. So I am improvising with chicken base to make broth & salsa verde. I also threw in some shredded chicken to turn it into a meal instead of a side. I will let you know how it turned out.

• Christina says

This was great made into a chicken rice Mexican dish. This is what I did.

2 cups rice
      5 cups water
      5 tsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
      16 oz jar Herdez salsa verde
      3 cups shredded chicken
      I mixed chicken base in water then added all the other ingredients. I topped it with 1 1/3 sticks butter, sliced. Baked 30 foil covered. Uncovered & stir, bake 30. Stir bake 15 more. Sprinkle with cheese.

Your beef version is still my favorite, but this was an good easy supper tonight.

23. Wanda Riley says

I make this using mushrooms,double rich double strenght beef broth,condensed onion soup, butter and wild rice……..we’ve always called it Dirty Rice

I just found this randomly on Pinterest and decided to make it. I adjusted it slightly and used bovril for my beef stock. It was delishious.
    This will now be a family favourite in my home…. Surrey…. England.
    Thank you.

I have always made this in the microwave. Just use a dish with a lid and cook ten minutes, stir and cook till liquid is absorbed. I also add mushrooms.

26. Sarah says

Our family has a very similar version, we just use cream of mushroom and milk instead of french onion and broth. Sometimes we throw in a chicken breast or some veggies (i.e. carrots, celery, etc) and you have a complete meal!

27. Lynn says

We call this church rice as it was a recipe from a church dinner. We have halved the butter, cook it on the stove top as it’s faster, typically serve it with grilled chops and peas. So yum :)

28. Janine says

I’ll have to try this. I make a rice from my mom (lost her March 1 from Alzheimer), so I post this in her honor. Sounds quite similar. She had clipped it from the new Orleans paper eons ago. I just call it sticky rice. Very tasty. Oven at 350. I use my corning Casserole dish. One cup uncooked white rice, two cans French Onion soup, one can Cream mushroom Soup. Mix all together. One hour in oven covered. Stir every 15 mins. Enjoy.

29. Kimberly says

I made this today and it was delicious. Next time, I will use half a stick of butter. It was very rich; everyone wanted to take a nap after dinner!!!

30. Judi says

I printed it out to make for tomorrow. It sounded so good. After reading all the comments I might have to make it for a midnight snack.

31. Ani says

hi there…you said you could double the recipe (which i just have) – what would you suggest as a cooking time?

Can’t wait to serve it tonight…

32. Lee Ann says

Rice cooker instructions – dump all ingredients in rice cooker and start. Easy and no hot oven! I use less butter (about 1/4 cup).

33. Danielle says

My grandmother makes this rice we call it Brown rice!! You can also add mushrooms and/or sliced almonds…we usually serve this rice with ham and potato salad!! Reminds me of Easter dinner!!!!

34. DonnaMaree says

Cannot get canned beef stock here in nzd and neither can we get canned French onion soup.. but we can get the powdered version of both…so how many mls of water should I add to.each.to make it up?

• Denise says

DonnaMaree.

30 mls per ounce (oz), so 300 mls each. The canned soups are usually 10oz size.

I hope that helps! I can’t wait to try this recipe!

• Mae says

Probably not. Rice isn’t made with talc anymore and washing rids it of nutrients. Not to mention unwashed rice yields a creamier result. It is being heated so if you’re worried about cleanliness, cooking at a higher temperature is more effective than rinsing.

35. Cherry says

I’m not a big fan of rice but my family is so always looking for new recipes to try can’t wait but I do have 1 question I’m assuming its OK to swap out beef broth for veg. as were vegetarians thx Cherry

I’ve made a version of this in a pot on top of the stove. Only main difference is that I melt the butter and then saute an onion in it. Then add the rice and soups, sometimes add mushrooms, then cook regular time for rice. We love it. Family staple! I might try the oven method. Wonder if it would work in a crockpot for a crowd? hmmmmm… Thanks for sharing.

This was the one thing my hubby loved. Kids too. I eliminated the butter eventually. I add 1 pound of meat (uncooked), stew beef, chicken or pork cut up small. I put fresh mushrooms on top (easier for not eaters to pick out). I also found browned up sausage tastes really good also. I do use beef consume instead of beef broth.

38. Gwen M says

My mom always made this for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners, only had it on holidays. I thought it was probably hard to make and when I was married and wanted the recipe, Momma gave it to me, it is so simple! We have it all the time. Her recipe had a half stick of butter melted in dish, & called for Beef Consomme soup as well as French Onion, she used Uncle Ben’s long grain rice, and she used the drained mushrooms as the last thing she put in the dish was a small package of sliced (or slivered which ever you prefer) almonds. My twist to the recipe she made was instead of 1 c of uncle bens rice, I use 1/2 c and then add 1/2 c of wild rice! When I take this to potluck dinners, there is never any leftovers!
    I make the recipe in 9×9 and if I double it I use 9 x 13, same cooking time!

I hope you like my spin on the recipe!

I remember my dad saying at holidays when I was a little girl, “No one leaves until the rice is gone”

39. Michael says

My wife hates beef broth…wondering how this would taste if we used chicken or vegetable broth instead?? Looks yummy to me!!

40. veronica says

The sodium in this has to be to the moon! You could substitute unsalted beef stock for the broth and use 1/2 water and 1/2 soup. I always substitute Jasmine rice because it is so flavorful. You absolutely could use Jasmine brown rice or plain brown rice, but it will have to cook longer.

• Just A Few Projects says

I was thinking the same thing about the sodium…yeowch. The french onion soup is 900 mg sodium per 1/2 cup, so about 2700 mg in the whole can. The beef broth is about 800 mg per cup. This dish could easily surpass one’s daily allowance of sodium in a single serving.

I would definitely use unsalted butter (and less of it), and fresh sautéed mushrooms (not canned). I would omit the canned french onion soup and instead use more low-sodium beef stock and more onion, cooked slowly with butter to get more flavor.

41. Meke (Mickey) says

We use almost the same recipe for Chicken and Rice, except I use cream of mushroom soup instead of beef broth and lay boneless chicken on top, cover and bake. Its amazing so we are going to try this way too :) Thanks

I loved the method! I did a Spanish version tonight by using 10 ounces chicken broth, 8 ounces tomato sauce, 1/2 cup salted butter, and seasonings. Spices are to taste, so you are on your own until I publish the recipe in my next book. :) Thanks Mark

43. Crista says

I made this last night, but used double the rice, then the required soups and two cans of water with two beef bullion cubes and only one stick of butter in a 9×13 pan, did the same cooking time and it was awesome! Served with pan fried pork chops and there was NONE left over. Thanks for sharing, it was so so good.

44. Brenda Stewart says

Why is it the best recipes contain all the things the Dr. took me off of? This looks so darn good and 3 months ago I would have eaten it all! But I can still look and drool, especially when someone post it on facebook.

45. Debbie Wheaton says

My mom always made this growing up and now I make it. She always made it in a 9×13 pan and never had any problems. Delicious! I crave this rice often too!!

• Linda says

Yes, Minute rice IS instant. Regular rice is usually sold in a bag. Any of the rice that is made by boiling water, and just adding and sitting to soak is instant. Regular white rice is will be labeled something like “extra long grain enriched rice” and usual cooking method is to boil with the water for apx. 20 min.
      I used Parboiled rice (Mahatma labels theirs Gold, Uncle ben’s is just labeled Par Boiled I think). It turned out just fine using the instructions as is!

46. Linda says

This recipe was amazing! Thank you.
    I did a couple things different just because of what I had on hand. I used a stick of margarine. I also didn’t have a can of broth. But I did have some bullion cubes. I used one cube and 10 oz of hot water. Also my rice was parboiled rice. It worked great. (gee now that I look at it–the soup was the only thing I did exactly as instructed! LOL) I was worried the parboiled would be bad cooking for an hour. But it was perfect!!
    YUM! We will make again!

47. Scott says

We made this and substituted brown rice . We also used a Beef Consume. Followed the directions and the rice was still crunchy at the end of 60 minutes. We covered it back up with foil and put it back in for 10 minutes more. Still crunchy. Then we put it in the rice cooker with some chicken broth….another 15 minutes and still somewhat crunchy with an intense Beef flavor.

48. Melissa says

I found this recipe in my Facebook feed.. I emailed it to myself and gave it a try this past weekend.. It is so nice to have a delicious flavorful rice without cheese in it! I used uncle bens rice (box) since it’s just me & my boyfriend. He loved it too! Baked pork chops to go with it.. I did everything as the recipe called for.. I think I may cut back on the butter a little bit.. Seemed too greasy for me.. Delicious though!! Do try it!

49. Kathy Brandenburg says

Have made this for years. Call it “Fried rice”. When it is finished baking, add two to three stirred eggs into the rice, stir gently and let it rest for three or four minutes, when set, serve. Do not add additional salt to the eggs. Everyone will rave.

50. Tracy Reed says

I tried this last night, although I had to tweak it since I didnt have any french onion soup, so just like making french onion soup, I sautéed the onions in salted butter first until they were soft and added some beef bouillon (similar to a recipe above) until dissolved, and then added the rest of the ingredients and put in the oven to bake. I LOVED IT!!! the lady who shared this one said she couldn’t find/remember the name of the recipe, so why not Frech Onion Rice? I even thought about putting some crunchy french’s onions on top, just an idea! =0)