Stick of Butter Rice- the best rice you’ll ever eat

I’m about to share with you my favorite side dish of all time. Just thinking about this rice makes my mouth water. It is beyond simple but it tastes AMAZING. It might have to do with the butter ratio.  But that’s beside the point.   I’m not sure what the name of it really is – it should be called brown rice.  But regular “brown rice” is healthy and kind of crunchy.  This most definitely is neither of those.  So I took it upon myself to name it “Stick of Butter Rice” because (you guessed it), it has a stick of butter in it.  Yes I realize might be ridiculous to post this recipe the day after I posted a food journal.   But that’s just the way it goes….
Stick of Rice Butter- the best rice you will ever eat.  Promise.  www.thirtyhandmadedays.com

As much as I love this rice, Josh mentioned that I might not want to post it because it doesn’t look very good.  He has a point.  You eat with your eyes first.   But I’m here to tell you that it does not matter if it looks like insects.  It only matters that it is the best and that you will sing praises after trying it.   My Mom says she got this one from my great-grandma.  I have funny memories with her yelling at my great-grandpa in their little cute house.

This is how the rice will look when you put it together.  It WILL taste good.  www.thirtyhandmadedays.com

So this is what it looks like when you are ready to put it into the oven.  Kind of scary.   BUT it will turn out.  Just trust me on this.  I wanted to show you so that you wouldn’t freak out when you made it.

Stick of Butter Rice- the best rice you’ll ever eat

Ingredients

• 1 c. uncooked white rice (NOT instant)
  • 1 (10 oz) can of Condensed French Onion Soup
  • 1 (10 oz) can of Beef Broth
  • 1/2 c. of butter, sliced

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • In a 9x9 inch baking dish combine rice, soup and broth.
  • Cut butter into slices and place on top of the mixture.
  • Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
  • Remove cover and bake 30 minutes more.

Notes

This can be doubled or tripled to feed more. Optional: small can of drained mushrooms can be added as well.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

The best side dish of all time - Stick of Butter Rice www.thirtyhandmadedays.com
I made this to go with Beef Enchiladas (recipe coming soon) but it’s more traditional with a roast, chicken, etc.  Josh was finishing up his last final for his first semester of law school and I wanted to make him something nice to power him up.

If you’re looking for more healthy side dishes, I have over 25 for you to try out:
Over 25 Delicious & Healthy Side Dishes www.thirtyhandmadedays.com

Comments

1. patti k says

Oooh..Mique! I have been looking for this recipe for many years. I had it once; my cousin’s wife made it with a beef roast when we were visiting years ago. I have craved it since then! We just called it “Pam’s Brown Rice” . Just wanted to question the size of dish…your recipe says use a 9×13 and believe she used a square dish (9×9 ?). Would that affect the cooking time since the ingredients are distributed differently? Thanks for sharing this!

Hi Patti- glad you found this recipe! ;) I crave it all the time too. It actually says on the recipe to use a 9×9. If you used a 9×13 pan I think it would affect the time of cooking because it wouldn’t be as compact (for lack of a better word?).

• patti k says

Thanks for clarifying…I guess I was looking at this too early in the day; my eyes saw 9×13! I was also confused by the fact the dish in your photo appeared to be 9×9. Please forgive my error :-). I do have everything in my cupboard to make this so it will probably be some where in my meal plan this week! By the way…I don’t think it looks like insects. It looks delicious!

2. SHERRY says

I’ve been looking for a great rice dish forever and this one sounds delicious. I’m making it today. Hope my kids and grandkids love this too.

3. Lori says

I am making this right now and just realized that I did not cover for the first 30 min of cooking time. Hopefully it doesn’t dry out too much!

It smells fantastic! Hope all goes well.

Thanks!

4. Mary Childress says

looks pretty good! I make rice (any kind) with chicken broth and butter and onions. Sometimes with sliced almonds or/ and mixed veges.

5. Shelley Enright says

My Sister-in-law gave me this recipe a couple years ago but she calls it Dirty Rice. We do add the sliced mushrooms and we use beef consommé instead of regular broth. It’s amazing. I’ve even learned how to make it in my digital rice cooker. No fuss. :)

• Lindazilla says

I was just wondering about using a rice cooker. How do you modify the process (if at all) for the cooker?

6. Robynn says

My roommate in college taught me this and my family has loved it. We put diced onions in as we melt the butter on stovetop then add the other ingredients. Turns out perfect every time. And for those asking abut using less butter-we have made with half stick and it still comes out buttery and yummy!

7. Stefanie Silveira says

I love this rice. We call it Dirty Rice in our family and add a can of mushrooms and a can of sliced olives. Amazeballs delish!!!!!

8. Nadine in NC says

I’ve been using a similar recipe for over 30 years. My recipe has me melt the butter and saute a small chopped onion before adding the other ingredients. For those on a budget, I have also had success with using beef base (that i buy at Sam’s Club) and 2 1/2 (to three) cups of water instead of the soups. You can control how much beef flavor it has using the base and you can also make the rice softer by increasing the water. For a really easy main dish, just add chopped pork loin to the onions when sauteing them and bake it covered for about 45 minutes.

9. Melissa says

We call it bullion rice but your name is way better! Lol…We love this recipe….I also add a can of mushrooms. I usually serve it with ham steaks but it goes so well with so much!
    _

10. Nancy says

Hi just wondering where you get the can of condensed onion soup. Looking forward to making this. Thanks. Nancy

11. Isabel says

Has anyone tried making this in the microwave or on top of the stove? Would the amount of ingredients be the same?

Hi Mique! Can I tell you how much I love rice – and how absolutely incredible this looks? Wow, I can’t wait to try this! Thank you SO much for joining us and sharing at Best of the Weekend. Pinning and sharing! Hope you are having a happy and wonderful week!

Ok, sometimes the best tasting dishes don’t look very appetizing. This one sounds delicious. I am a huge fan of french onion soup, so with that as the base then add in some beef broth to make it more rich in flavor and butter! Totally believe you, bet this is awesome. Pinning Mique, thanks for sharing at Show Stopper my dear! :)

14. linda says

I used to make a rice casserole similar to this years ago. The recipe was in a cookbook that my mom bought for me when I first got married – it was put together by a Senior Citizens group – so this recipe has been around for a long, long time! The recipe differed in that it called for:

4 cups water
    1 cup uncooked rice
    1 stick butter or margarine, cut up
    1 pkg. Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix
    1 – 3 ounce can sliced mushrooms (fresh sautéed sliced mushrooms would probably be even better!)

The directions are the same as yours!!! I used to double, and sometimes triple, this for a side dish for parties and it always turned out great. People always asked for the recipe, too!

I hope you don’t mind that I posted this variation! Your post made me want to bring out and make the recipe again!

Linda

15. Jen says

This is the best rice ever! My family has been making it for years…we call it “Shore Rice” since it was a quick and easy favorite when we would spend summers at the beach.

16. Ashley says

My mom made this growing up, except she put a few bone in pork chops (center cut) on top of the rice mixture and used Campbell’s beef consome instead of broth for a richer flavor. Delicious!

17. Michelle says

Hi my mother made this all the time. She added mushrooms everyone loves it. We call it Rice Casserole. Delicious!

18. Allison says

OMG, this is sooooo good!

I could eat the whole pan. I didn’t have a 9×9 pan only an 8×11 or 8×8. I chose the 8×11 but next time I think the 8×8 would work better.

Let me say this again, OMG, soooooo good!

Looks yummy. I make a similar rice in the rice cooker. I fry bacon, cook the rice with 1 teaspoon of he bacon grease, instead of butter, and add crumbled bacon when the rice is done. It’s delicious!

20. Jilene says

Okay this looks so good and I read every comment and they have given me so many ideas to try can’t wait to make some yummy rice for the family.

21. Julie says

I pinned this on Pinterest weeks ago and just made it. Definitely a keeper. It is delicious and so very easy. Thanks for sharing.

22. Christina says

I made this a few weeks ago with a roast and we loved it. I made a few changes based on what I had on my pantry. So good. My husband and all of our children loved it. ( I doubled to feed us all.) I am under the weather today and craving this but don’t have any of the ingredients other than rice. So I am improvising with chicken base to make broth & salsa verde. I also threw in some shredded chicken to turn it into a meal instead of a side. I will let you know how it turned out.

• Christina says

This was great made into a chicken rice Mexican dish. This is what I did.

2 cups rice
      5 cups water
      5 tsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
      16 oz jar Herdez salsa verde
      3 cups shredded chicken
      I mixed chicken base in water then added all the other ingredients. I topped it with 1 1/3 sticks butter, sliced. Baked 30 foil covered. Uncovered & stir, bake 30. Stir bake 15 more. Sprinkle with cheese.

Your beef version is still my favorite, but this was an good easy supper tonight.

23. Wanda Riley says

I make this using mushrooms,double rich double strenght beef broth,condensed onion soup, butter and wild rice……..we’ve always called it Dirty Rice

I just found this randomly on Pinterest and decided to make it. I adjusted it slightly and used bovril for my beef stock. It was delishious.
    This will now be a family favourite in my home…. Surrey…. England.
    Thank you.