Stick of Butter Rice- the best rice you’ll ever eat

I’m about to share with you my favorite side dish of all time. Just thinking about this rice makes my mouth water. It is beyond simple but it tastes AMAZING. It might have to do with the butter ratio.  But that’s beside the point.   I’m not sure what the name of it really is – it should be called brown rice.  But regular “brown rice” is healthy and kind of crunchy.  This most definitely is neither of those.  So I took it upon myself to name it “Stick of Butter Rice” because (you guessed it), it has a stick of butter in it.  Yes I realize might be ridiculous to post this recipe the day after I posted a food journal.   But that’s just the way it goes….
Stick of Rice Butter- the best rice you will ever eat.  Promise.  www.thirtyhandmadedays.com

As much as I love this rice, Josh mentioned that I might not want to post it because it doesn’t look very good.  He has a point.  You eat with your eyes first.   But I’m here to tell you that it does not matter if it looks like insects.  It only matters that it is the best and that you will sing praises after trying it.   My Mom says she got this one from my great-grandma.  I have funny memories with her yelling at my great-grandpa in their little cute house.

This is how the rice will look when you put it together.  It WILL taste good.  www.thirtyhandmadedays.com

So this is what it looks like when you are ready to put it into the oven.  Kind of scary.   BUT it will turn out.  Just trust me on this.  I wanted to show you so that you wouldn’t freak out when you made it.

Stick of Butter Rice- the best rice you’ll ever eat

Ingredients

• 1 c. uncooked white rice (NOT instant)
  • 1 (10 oz) can of Condensed French Onion Soup
  • 1 (10 oz) can of Beef Broth
  • 1/2 c. of butter, sliced

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • In a 9x9 inch baking dish combine rice, soup and broth.
  • Cut butter into slices and place on top of the mixture.
  • Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
  • Remove cover and bake 30 minutes more.

This can be doubled or tripled to feed more. Optional: small can of drained mushrooms can be added as well.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Zip Recipes Plugin

The best side dish of all time - Stick of Butter Rice www.thirtyhandmadedays.com
I made this to go with Beef Enchiladas but it’s more traditional with a roast, chicken, etc.  Josh was finishing up his last final for his first semester of law school and I wanted to make him something nice to power him up.

If you’re looking for more healthy side dishes, I have over 25 for you to try out:
Over 25 Delicious & Healthy Side Dishes www.thirtyhandmadedays.com

And some other family favorites:

Simple side dish: Creamed Peas using 5 ingredients you most likely have on hand. So delicious! | Thirty Handmade Days

Creamed Peas

One easy way to make roasted vegetables and fall in love with them! | Thirty Handmade Days
Roasted Vegetables

Comments

1. Deb says

thank u for the recipe, I’m not a rice fan, but this was delish!!!!! Only thing I did different was added 1/2 bag of frozen peas and carrots. Thanks again!!!!

2. Fay says

My Mother in law makes this we call it company rice. Also when I make it sometimes use left over meat left over from the night before.

3. Valerie says

I have been making this for years, although I never had an official name for it. When my kids were little, they decided to call it “Rice A-Yummy” because they thought it was so yummy!

4. DeeDee says

I made this tonight for the first time. It is fantastic! This will be my go-to rice when having steak or beef. My family loved it too!!!

5. Becky says

Probably a silly question, but should the condensed canned soup and broth be used as they are without dilution or should they be prepared with a can of water each as directed on the can when using them to just make them soup?

6. Tracy Reed says

I tried this last night, although I had to tweak it since I didnt have any french onion soup, so just like making french onion soup, I sautéed the onions in salted butter first until they were soft and added some beef bouillon (similar to a recipe above) until dissolved, and then added the rest of the ingredients and put in the oven to bake. I LOVED IT!!! the lady who shared this one said she couldn’t find/remember the name of the recipe, so why not Frech Onion Rice? I even thought about putting some crunchy french’s onions on top, just an idea! =0)

7. Kathy Brandenburg says

Have made this for years. Call it “Fried rice”. When it is finished baking, add two to three stirred eggs into the rice, stir gently and let it rest for three or four minutes, when set, serve. Do not add additional salt to the eggs. Everyone will rave.

8. Melissa says

I found this recipe in my Facebook feed.. I emailed it to myself and gave it a try this past weekend.. It is so nice to have a delicious flavorful rice without cheese in it! I used uncle bens rice (box) since it’s just me & my boyfriend. He loved it too! Baked pork chops to go with it.. I did everything as the recipe called for.. I think I may cut back on the butter a little bit.. Seemed too greasy for me.. Delicious though!! Do try it!

9. Scott says

We made this and substituted brown rice . We also used a Beef Consume. Followed the directions and the rice was still crunchy at the end of 60 minutes. We covered it back up with foil and put it back in for 10 minutes more. Still crunchy. Then we put it in the rice cooker with some chicken broth….another 15 minutes and still somewhat crunchy with an intense Beef flavor.

10. Linda says

This recipe was amazing! Thank you.
    I did a couple things different just because of what I had on hand. I used a stick of margarine. I also didn’t have a can of broth. But I did have some bullion cubes. I used one cube and 10 oz of hot water. Also my rice was parboiled rice. It worked great. (gee now that I look at it–the soup was the only thing I did exactly as instructed! LOL) I was worried the parboiled would be bad cooking for an hour. But it was perfect!!
    YUM! We will make again!

• Linda says

Yes, Minute rice IS instant. Regular rice is usually sold in a bag. Any of the rice that is made by boiling water, and just adding and sitting to soak is instant. Regular white rice is will be labeled something like “extra long grain enriched rice” and usual cooking method is to boil with the water for apx. 20 min.
      I used Parboiled rice (Mahatma labels theirs Gold, Uncle ben’s is just labeled Par Boiled I think). It turned out just fine using the instructions as is!

11. Debbie Wheaton says

My mom always made this growing up and now I make it. She always made it in a 9×13 pan and never had any problems. Delicious! I crave this rice often too!!

12. Brenda Stewart says

Why is it the best recipes contain all the things the Dr. took me off of? This looks so darn good and 3 months ago I would have eaten it all! But I can still look and drool, especially when someone post it on facebook.

13. Crista says

I made this last night, but used double the rice, then the required soups and two cans of water with two beef bullion cubes and only one stick of butter in a 9×13 pan, did the same cooking time and it was awesome! Served with pan fried pork chops and there was NONE left over. Thanks for sharing, it was so so good.

I loved the method! I did a Spanish version tonight by using 10 ounces chicken broth, 8 ounces tomato sauce, 1/2 cup salted butter, and seasonings. Spices are to taste, so you are on your own until I publish the recipe in my next book. :) Thanks Mark

15. Meke (Mickey) says

We use almost the same recipe for Chicken and Rice, except I use cream of mushroom soup instead of beef broth and lay boneless chicken on top, cover and bake. Its amazing so we are going to try this way too :) Thanks

16. veronica says

The sodium in this has to be to the moon! You could substitute unsalted beef stock for the broth and use 1/2 water and 1/2 soup. I always substitute Jasmine rice because it is so flavorful. You absolutely could use Jasmine brown rice or plain brown rice, but it will have to cook longer.

• Just A Few Projects says

I was thinking the same thing about the sodium…yeowch. The french onion soup is 900 mg sodium per 1/2 cup, so about 2700 mg in the whole can. The beef broth is about 800 mg per cup. This dish could easily surpass one’s daily allowance of sodium in a single serving.

I would definitely use unsalted butter (and less of it), and fresh sautéed mushrooms (not canned). I would omit the canned french onion soup and instead use more low-sodium beef stock and more onion, cooked slowly with butter to get more flavor.

17. Michael says

My wife hates beef broth…wondering how this would taste if we used chicken or vegetable broth instead?? Looks yummy to me!!

18. Gwen M says

My mom always made this for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners, only had it on holidays. I thought it was probably hard to make and when I was married and wanted the recipe, Momma gave it to me, it is so simple! We have it all the time. Her recipe had a half stick of butter melted in dish, & called for Beef Consomme soup as well as French Onion, she used Uncle Ben’s long grain rice, and she used the drained mushrooms as the last thing she put in the dish was a small package of sliced (or slivered which ever you prefer) almonds. My twist to the recipe she made was instead of 1 c of uncle bens rice, I use 1/2 c and then add 1/2 c of wild rice! When I take this to potluck dinners, there is never any leftovers!
    I make the recipe in 9×9 and if I double it I use 9 x 13, same cooking time!

I hope you like my spin on the recipe!

I remember my dad saying at holidays when I was a little girl, “No one leaves until the rice is gone”

This was the one thing my hubby loved. Kids too. I eliminated the butter eventually. I add 1 pound of meat (uncooked), stew beef, chicken or pork cut up small. I put fresh mushrooms on top (easier for not eaters to pick out). I also found browned up sausage tastes really good also. I do use beef consume instead of beef broth.

I’ve made a version of this in a pot on top of the stove. Only main difference is that I melt the butter and then saute an onion in it. Then add the rice and soups, sometimes add mushrooms, then cook regular time for rice. We love it. Family staple! I might try the oven method. Wonder if it would work in a crockpot for a crowd? hmmmmm… Thanks for sharing.

21. Cherry says

I’m not a big fan of rice but my family is so always looking for new recipes to try can’t wait but I do have 1 question I’m assuming its OK to swap out beef broth for veg. as were vegetarians thx Cherry

• Mae says

Probably not. Rice isn’t made with talc anymore and washing rids it of nutrients. Not to mention unwashed rice yields a creamier result. It is being heated so if you’re worried about cleanliness, cooking at a higher temperature is more effective than rinsing.

22. DonnaMaree says

Cannot get canned beef stock here in nzd and neither can we get canned French onion soup.. but we can get the powdered version of both…so how many mls of water should I add to.each.to make it up?

• Denise says

DonnaMaree.

30 mls per ounce (oz), so 300 mls each. The canned soups are usually 10oz size.

I hope that helps! I can’t wait to try this recipe!

23. Danielle says

My grandmother makes this rice we call it Brown rice!! You can also add mushrooms and/or sliced almonds…we usually serve this rice with ham and potato salad!! Reminds me of Easter dinner!!!!

24. Jennifer says

my family has been making this for a lifetime! We also use a can of beef consume’ and a can of mushrooms! yum

25. Lee Ann says

Rice cooker instructions – dump all ingredients in rice cooker and start. Easy and no hot oven! I use less butter (about 1/4 cup).

26. laura dansby says

My Grandma made this accepts she used red Pimientos and pan fried pork chops on top

27. Ani says

hi there…you said you could double the recipe (which i just have) – what would you suggest as a cooking time?

Can’t wait to serve it tonight…

28. Pam Simpkins says

Not a fan of onions any other soup to use instead of the French onion soup?

29. Judi says

I printed it out to make for tomorrow. It sounded so good. After reading all the comments I might have to make it for a midnight snack.

30. Kimberly says

I made this today and it was delicious. Next time, I will use half a stick of butter. It was very rich; everyone wanted to take a nap after dinner!!!

31. Janine says

I’ll have to try this. I make a rice from my mom (lost her March 1 from Alzheimer), so I post this in her honor. Sounds quite similar. She had clipped it from the new Orleans paper eons ago. I just call it sticky rice. Very tasty. Oven at 350. I use my corning Casserole dish. One cup uncooked white rice, two cans French Onion soup, one can Cream mushroom Soup. Mix all together. One hour in oven covered. Stir every 15 mins. Enjoy.