Hot Cocoa on a Stick

Today I’m sharing a fun way to make hot cocoa…on a stick! As an added bonus, it comes with a printable. DOUBLE bonus…it makes a wonderful gift! And TRIPLE bonus…it requires no baking!

Hot Cocoa on a Stick

Start with 2 cups of chocolate chips. Use milk, dark, white or semi-sweet chocolate. Place in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 70% power for 1 minute. Stir. Return at 100% power for 15 seconds. Stir and repeat until completely melted.

melting chocolate

If using a flavor, add 1 tsp. extract and mix well.

Spoon into ice cube tray or silicone mold. A baby food tray (like this one) works well too. I used a Jello Party Mold.

spoons and mold

Insert disposable spoons and refrigerate until hardened, about 30-40 minutes.

Hot Cocoa on a Stick

Remove from mold.

Hot Cocoa on a Stick - cute idea for the holidays and just for fun!

One of my favorite variations is a Mint Dark Chocolate, topped off with an Andes mint!

Dark Mint Chocolate

Dark Mint Chocolate

There are so many great combinations! Insert a candy cane or crushed peppermint candies for a festive holiday treat!

Hot Cocoa on a Stick - fun idea from Bebe a la Mode

To use, stir into 1 cup of hot milk. Or package with marshmallows to give away.

Hot Cocoa on a Stick

Tie it up with this cute printable and include a mug for an adorable gift for a teacher, co-worker or neighbor.

Hot Cocoa on a Stick

Ingredients
  • 2 c. chocolate chips (milk, dark white or semi-sweet chocolate)
  • 1 tsp. mint, peppermint or other flavor extract (optional)
  • Assorted toppings: candy canes, crushed peppermint candies, chocolate mints, etc.
  • Disposable spoons
  • Marshmallows
Instructions
  1. Place chocolate in microwave safe bowl.
  2. Microwave at 70% power for 1 minute; stir.
  3. Microwave on high for 15 second increments; stir. Repeat until completely melted.
  4. Spoon into mold (silcone or ice cube tray).
  5. Insert disposable spoon.
  6. Add desired topping.
  7. Refrigerate until set, about 30-40 minutes.
  8. To serve, mix into 1 cup of hot milk.

Hot Cocoa on a Stick - fun holiday gift idea and yummy too!

Brittany
Brittany blogs at bebe a la mode designs where she shares recipes, crafts, DIY projects and everyday life. She is wife to her college sweetheart and mama to three young munchkins. Cooking and baking is her passion and she enjoys creating simple, flavorful and family-friendly recipes.
Brittany

Latest posts by Brittany (see all)

Comments

1. Jackie says

Hi – my first batch of these came out beautifully for teacher’s gifts. I tried to make a second batch and added vanilla extract after melting the chocolate and it instantly became a clumpy unusable mess. Any idea what went wrong? Should I have used the extract at a different time?

2. Danielle says

i am having problems getting the hardened chocolate out of the ice cube tray. Any suggestions? Thank you

I usually twist the ice cube tray. If that doesn’t work, try placing the bottom of the tray/mold in hot water for about 20-30 seconds. They should come right out.

3. Ashley says

My mom Loves hot chocolate but hates milk. She makes it with water. Could you use hot water with these instead of the warm milk?

I haven’t tried these with water and not quite sure how that would come out. If there was a milk alternative that she likes (soy, almond, etc.) I would recommend that.

4. Sharon says

I want to make the hot cocoa on a stick as gifts. I am having a problem ordering the mold you used, must be an issue with the website and they are not able to help me. I can order similar molds elsewhere but I am not sure of the size I should order? If they are to small then they will not taste chocolatey enough. Could you tell me the size of the pyramid cups you are using?
    Thanks so much!

Hi Sharon, sorry you’re having trouble ordering the mold :( It holds 2 tablespoons. There is a link in the above post for a square mold (baby food mold) that would work nicely too.

5. Roslyn says

Could you let us know specifically which stamp you used to for the spoons? So cute!

Thanks,
    Roslyn

6. dede says

Very easy and looks like a lot of effort goes into it and very affordable. I love this idea.
    I would stamp things like sweet teacher! Lol best idea I’ve seen in a long time.

7. Tiffany says

If the recipient isn’t going to use these right away, do they need to keep them refrigerated?

8. Bonnie says

This is a really cute idea!! Could you post pics of how the finished product looks when stirred into the hot milk. I have never had any luck stirring dark chocolate into any hot liquid…I’ve tried it with coffee. I had no idea you could stir chocolate chips into milk and it taste like hot cocoa!!

9. Karen Akilan says

I am making these as neighbor gifts this year with mugs…I was running out of new ideas. THis is awesome and adorable.

Thanks