One of my go to quick breads, this Banana Nut Bread is easy to make and so good every time! You can choose to leave the nuts out, but I love it with them in.
Banana Nut Bread
This recipe is moist and delicious! It might have something to do with the cream cheese in the batter…..hmmmm……I made mine with pecans and a yummy nut topping but that is optional. I know that nuts can be a controversial topic. Some people despise them, some people love them. I’m in the second camp.
If you like this recipe, you’ll like these too:
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Zucchini Bread with Brown Sugar Topping
- Blender Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
How to Make Banana Bread
Banana bread is one of the best baking recipes to start with because it’s really forgiving. You throw a lot of ingredients together, toss it in the oven, and feel like a rock star when it comes out. At this point I feel like I buy bananas just so they can get overripe and then I can make banana bread.
There are a few things you need to know though –
- You need your bananas to be at least freckled to use for making bread. The darker, more ripe they get, the stronger the banana flavor will be. If you prefer it to be less banana-y (yes, I just made that up), don’t let them get super dark before making this recipe.
- In addition, you can mash up the bananas with a fork or with a hand or stand mixer. If you like your bread with chunks of banana in it, stop mashing when they get to that point. It’s all about personal preference.
Banana Bread Recipe
Banana Nut Bread
- ¾ c butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 c sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 c flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 bananas medium and over ripe
- 1 c chopped pecans toasted (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla
Cinnamon Crisp Topping
- ½ c brown sugar
- ½ c chopped toasted pecans
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at time, just until blended.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt) in a separate bowl.
- Then gradually add to the butter/cream cheese mix at a low speed until just blended.
- Mash bananas and stir into mix.
- Add pecans (optional) and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into 2 greased loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350.
- Watch the bread, if it starts to brown, add tin foil for the last 15 mins to avoid too much browning.
- Cool for 10 mins, remove from the pans onto wire racks and cool for 30 mins before slicing.
- Stir ingredients together.
- Prepare the batter above.
- Spoon into pans.
- Sprinkle mix evenly over batter.
- Bake and cool as directed above.
And while I said the topping is optional, why not live a little? It gives it that extra special touch and makes it stand out from other banana bread recipes.