Looking for something simple to make for dinner? Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas are a take on the traditional enchilada recipes.
Black Bean Enchiladas
With all of the activities and craziness in the afternoon, I’m in need of quick, simple and delicious meals that my family will love. This Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas recipe is so simple to make and got 2 thumbs up from everyone.
What is an enchilada?
An enchilada includes a corn tortilla that is filled with a variety of ingredients and covered with a sauce. There are all different types of enchiladas. This recipe is an enchilada “stack” with torn apart corn tortillas instead of rolled around ingredients. It’s like a casserole or a layered dish but has ingredients that are often used to make traditional enchiladas.
How to make enchiladas
Not only do enchiladas taste good, but they come together so quickly. To make this chicken and black bean enchiladas stack, here are the steps:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9×13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Use pre-cooked chicken or boil/bake chicken before continuing.
- Mix chicken, black beans, chiles, sour cream, shredded cheese and spices together in a bowl.
- Rip or cut 12 corn tortillas into strips. (Using a pizza cutter makes this really easy!)
- Arrange half of the chicken strips on the bottom of the pan.
- Top with half of chicken mix.
- Repeat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly.
To make it even easier I used pre-made chicken. If you do any sort of meal prep, that can majorly cut down on the time spent making dinner every night. If not, this is still easy to prepare, you just have to calculate the time it takes to bake or broil the chicken.
Other Enchilada Posts
Looking for some other good recipes? Here you go:
- Beef Enchiladas
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- Smothered Black Bean and Green Chile Enchiladas
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Chicken Black Bean Enchilada Stack
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast cooked and cut into approx. 1 inch pieces
- 30 oz black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ c sour cream
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz green chiles chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 12 corn tortillas cut into 2 in strips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Mix cooked chicken, beans, sour cream, 1 c shredded cheese, chiles, cumin and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Arrange half of the tortilla strips in the bottom of the pan, overlapping to cover the surface.
- Top with half of the chicken mix.
- Layer with remaining tortillas and then top with chicken mix.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and cheese is melted, approximately 30 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
[email protected] says
Has anybody made this as a freezer meal? Does it freeze well?
I’ve never prepared an enchilada before. As I understand it, this is something like pizza, but the Mexican version with a tortilla. In any case, it looks very appetizing, and I want to cook it and try it with pleasure! Be sure to make a few servings on the weekend, my friends will come to visit m, so I think everyone will like this dish! Thank you for your blog!
Your instinct is correct. This is really a layered enchilada or enchilada casserole. It gets you the enchilada flavors without actually rolling enchiladas.