Easy dinner ideas are my favorite. If you are looking for an easy main dish that your family will love, I’ve got just the thing:
Easy Dinner Ideas
I am always looking for easy dinner ideas and this recipe is a one pot meal that anyone can make. I bet my youngest could make it with a little bit of help. When I told my husband what I was making for dinner he said “Yesssss……that stuff is so good!” Although he knows not to complain about what I cook, he also doesn’t necessarily do jumping jacks when he likes something. So for him to get excited, this one is a winner. His sister gave it to me years ago and I added it into the mix.
With the flavor from the onion mix and the rice and beef, Porcupines in a Skillet is a good, hearty meal. It only takes about 30 minutes start to finish with minimal effort. Don’t let the name fool you!
Quick Dinner Ideas
To make this easy dinner idea, you’ll need:
Porcupines in a Skillet is so easy and delicious – and you probably already have these items on hand! I always have these ingredients in my pantry and fridge.
- ground beef
- dry onion soup mix
- shredded cheese
- can of mushrooms, optional
- Skillet or pan
- Spatula or I LOVE my spurtles
See? You only need a couple of things!
What should you serve with this meal?
Besides the main dish, I struggle with side dishes a lot. Growing up, my mom often served our main dish with a salad.
- Simple salad – no need to get fancy, you can serve up a salad, with veggies and dressing.
- Rolls – try these awesome dinner rolls and our family loves Kings Hawaiian Rolls too if you’d rather not make them from scratch.
- Vegetables are always a good idea! My favorite way to make them by roasting them.
Other easy dinner ideas:
If you love this recipe, you’re going to love these other easy dinner ideas. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
- Tatertot Casserole
- One Pot Chicken and Rice
- Chicken Tortilla Bake
- Burrito Bowl
- Over a Month of Quick Dinner Ideas
And a few others to try:
Easy Dinner Recipes
This one is both quick and easy. Plus it’s in one pan. It’s like a dinner trifecta! If you love this Porcupines in a Skilet as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH 30days!
Porcupines in a Skillet
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 c hot water
- 3/4 c rice uncooked
- 16 oz tomatoes (can)
- 1 c cheese shredded
- 1 small can mushrooms (optional, I don't normally add these)
- In a large skillet, crumble beef and brown.
- Drain and stir in onion soup mix, water, tomatoes (optional mushrooms).
- Add rice and stir.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese, melt and serve.
Note: I have one kiddo who doesn’t like mushrooms and I’m not totally sure about canned ones (ewww ?!) so I don’t add them to this. I’ll have to try it sometime and let you know how it turns out? I’ll take one for the team.
What are some of your favorite easy dinner ideas?