Who doesn’t love an easy weeknight dinner? They are my go to. And this tater tot casserole is at the top of easy dinner recipes for family and comfort food!
*This post was originally shared by Brittany from bebe a la mode.
I used to eat this casserole at a friend’s house growing up and I loved it! So now that I’m all grown up and have a family of my own, it’s something I wanted to make for my family. However, I wanted to clean it up a bit so I substituted the condensed soup and beef for healthier, leaner options. The kids love this and it’s super easy to put together.
Easy Dinner Recipes for Family
If you love this easy easy dinner recipe, you’re going to love these other recipes. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
- Porcupines in a Skillet – don’t let the name scare you! My family loves this one and I make it almost once a week
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Taco Casserole
- Southwest Chicken Bake
- Beef Taco Bake
- Baked Chicken Ranch from the Idea Room
I know that casseroles are a big thing in the midwest. Although they are often called Hot Dish. I didn’t know that until recently when I was preparing for a get together and needed a dish to share with friends from Minnesota. These casseroles go back to budget minded farm wives who prepared a hot meal in one dish.
To make this Tatertot Casserole You’ll Need:
- small bowl
- casserole dish
- mixing spoons
- boneless, skinless chicken breast
- olive oil
- sour cream
- frozen tatertots
- shredded cheddar cheese
Ok let’s make it:
Start with 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into pieces. Saute in a Tablespoon of olive oil.
Season with garlic salt. As soon as the chicken is cooked through, remove from heat. In a small bowl, mix 1 cup of light sour cream with 1/3 cup of milk. Pour sour cream mixture and 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese in with the chicken; mix well. Pour into an 8×8 baking dish.
Top with a single layer of tater tots and add remaining 1/4 cup cheese on top of tots.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until tots are golden brown and chicken mixture is bubbling.
Tatertot Casserole Recipe
If you love these dinner recipes as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- garlic salt to taste
- 1 c sour cream
- ⅓ c milk
- 1 ½-2 lbs frozen tater tots
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese divided
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream and milk together. Set aside.
- Saute chicken in 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with garlic salt. As soon as the chicken is cooked through, remove from heat.
- Pour sour cream mixture and ¾ cup of cheese over chicken. Mix well.
- Pour into an 8x8 baking dish.
- Add a single layer of frozen tater tots over the creamy chicken mixture. Top with remaining ¼ cup cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until tots are golden brown and chicken mixture is bubbling.
This recipe has everything…quick, easy and kid-friendly!
This is my favorite recipe so far. I have made it 5 time since i found your site a month ago and everyone I have made it for loves it! I’m not real handy when it comes to cooking lol but your easy recipes have made me feel like a master chef! thanks!
A.J. Dub (Amy) says
This sounds great! My kids love Tater Tot casserole but I don’t make it very often because it’s so heavy and not terribly healthy.
We will have to give this a try.
Seriously Sassy Mama says
I am totally going to make this for my girls. I am running out of ideas.
I’ve made this with ground beef before but the chicken version sounds yummy!