Easy to make chimichanga recipe that can be made ahead! Your whole family will love this one and you’ll like being able to have a meal ready to go at all times.
I have entered the “my kids eat everything all day long” phase. Well I did awhile ago. They are teens and a tween. They are never not starving. I’m always on the hunt for something to make that is easy and tastes good, that will get their 2 thumbs up. Recently I bought frozen chimichangas at the store. They are quick and expensive. But I thought I could make some that would taste better and not be full of all the junk. So I did. May I present – make ahead freezer Baked Beef Chimichanga recipe? Yum.
These are so ridiculously easy to put together. You don’t need many ingredients and it’s a pretty good base to use and substitute in your favorites. If you want to add chicken instead of beef, go for it. My kids love that they can add whatever extras they want on them – sour cream, cheese, guacamole and more. Some of my kids love extra cheese, I have one who doesn’t. One doesn’t like tomatoes. The beauty of recipes like this is that the base recipe is great and then they can customize it.
If you like this recipe, you will love these too:
So here we go – let’s do this!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1½ c. shredded cheese (cheddar, Mexican, jack, etc)
- 1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
- ½ cup salsa (homemade can be used- I just used premade store bought)
- 12 flour tortillas
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Saute onion and add ground beef in a skillet.
- Cook until no longer pink. (approx 7-10 mins)
- Take off heat and drain.
- Stir in refried beans, salsa and cheese after cool for a minute.
- Melt butter and brush on tortillas, both sides. Wax paper can be used for less mess.
- Spoon about ¼ c. of beef mix into the center of the tortilla.
- Fold sides over tortilla, like a burrito.
- Place on baking sheet, seam side down.
- Make sure to space them out so they are not touching.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Optional- sprinkle with additional cheese and return to oven to melt cheese. (watch closely to avoid burning them)
- Serve with favorite toppings -
- Sour cream, lettuce, olives, additional cheese, tomatoes, guacamole, etc.
I am happy to say that my 9 year old exclaimed this his new favorite meal. He said “Mom it tops Dr. Pepper Chicken and you know how much I love that!!” He’s the baker/chef in our house so can be pretty particular sometimes. He’ll tell me something needs “a little garlic” or “it tastes great but I think it needs…________” With this one, he was in heaven from bite one. Yay!