Seasoned ground beef with lettuce, tomatoes, chips for crunch and a creamy dressing to top it off. This Taco Salad that I grew up on is the best!
I’ve seen variations of this taco salad floating around and recently I was just craving it. My Mom made this version for us growing up and I loved it. It’s simple to pull together with some basic ingredients plus an extra or two that you might need to pick up at the store. If you’re looking for a quick, delicious salad, this is the one for you.
I love being able to make the meals I grew up on for my family and having them equally love them as much as I did. It doesn’t always happen. That’s just the honest truth – things that I think my family will love, they don’t. I don’t share those recipes here. I file those away as ones not to make again. You win some, you lose some.
How to make taco salad:
Though there are different ways to prepare taco salad, there are a few things that are pretty standard no matter what type you make. For this recipe you will need:
- romaine lettuce
- ground beef (ground turkey can be used for a healthier version)
- taco seasoning packet
- shredded cheese
- sliced olives (optional)
- Catalina dressing
- wooden spoon
Other Taco Recipes:
If you love this easy Taco Salad recipe, you’re going to love these other taco recipes. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice– great side with this salad!
- Beef Taco Bake
- Taco Soup
- 25 Recipes for Taco Tuesday from I Heart Naptime
Taco Salad Recipe
If you love this Taco Salad Recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH 30daysblog
Mom's Taco Salad
- 8 c romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey, browned
- 1 oz taco seasoning (1 package)
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 ½ c cheese shredded (more if you want it extra cheesy)
- 2 c Fritos Corn Chips
- 2.25 oz sliced olives (optional)
- 16 oz Catalina Dressing
- In a skillet, brown beef or turkey and drain. Set aside and cool while preparing the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, grated cheese, and olives.
- Prior to serving, add cooked ground beef /turkey and corn chips.
- Combine with other ingredients.
- Drizzle salad dressing over salad mix and toss salad until the desired amount of dressing is used.
There are lots of ways you could prepare this salad. You can add in avocado, tomatoes, green onions if you want. You can omit the sliced olives if they aren’t your thing. Do what your family loves!