Scotcharoos – an easy no bake dessert that any chocolate and peanut butter fan will go nuts over!
This recipe became popular in the 1960s after Rice Krispies printed it on their cereal boxes. It’s perfect for any time of year because it’s no bake, rich and creamy. The only problem is it’s hard to stop at just one square! Similar to Special K Bars, this Scotcharoo recipe uses crispy rice cereal instead.
Ingredients for this recipe
There isn’t a big list of what you need to prepare this tasty treat. Typically I have all of these ingredients on hand.
First, to make this recipe you will need:
- light corn syrup
- creamy peanut butter (crunchy peanut butter won’t give it the right texture)
- Rice Krispies Cereal or similar
- semi sweet chocolate chips
- butterscotch chips
- 9×13 baking pan
How to make scotcharoos
Grease a 9X13 inch baking pan with cooking spray or butter.
In a pot, mix together corn syrup and sugar.
Cook until sugar dissolves.
Add peanut butter and cook until melted.
Remove from heat and stir in cereal.
Transfer mixture into baking pan and pat down.
Note: I like to use a buttered spoon or spatula to pat down. You can also run a big spoon under some water to help prevent it from sticking to the mix.
In a saucepan, over medium low heat, melt chocolate chips and butterscotch chips until smooth.
Spread over top of bars and let bars cool. (the hardest part!)
Cut into squares.
No Bake Deserts
Like easy, no bake recipes? Try these out too:
If you love this Scotcharoo Recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
- 1 c light corn syrup
- 1 c sugar
- 1 1/2 c creamy peanut butter
- 6 c Rice Krispies
- 1 bag semisweet chocolate chip
- 3/4 c butterscotch chips
- Generously grease a 9X13 inch baking pan.
- In large pot mix together corn syrup and sugar.
- Cook until sugar dissolves. Add peanut butter and cook until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in cereal. Transfer mixture into baking pan and pat down.
- In medium saucepan, over medium low heat, melt chocolate chips and butterscotch chips until smooth.
- Spread over top of bars and let bars cool. Cut into squares.