An easy to throw in a pan, stick in the oven meal – this Southwest Chicken Bake is one of our family favorites!
By now you know easy is what I do when it comes to cooking. Sometimes I go all out but most of the time it is the quickest and meals that I know my family love that win out. This chicken bake doesn’t take much effort but the results are so so so good. You have the spices from the ingredients, the crunch from the chips and everything tastes good with cheese, right?
I’ve had this recipe from one of my closest friends for probably close to ten years now. I’ve added different things here or there to give it a little variety but every time I make it, my family loves it!
To Make This Southwest Chicken Bake Recipe, You’ll Need:
You most likely have all of the ingredients you need for this Chicken Bake sitting your pantry but wouldn’t have thought to put them together. You can also use this as a base and add in additional vegetables, spices, etc.
- 3-4 chicken breasts, baked and cubed
- salsa (recipe to make your own below)
- cheddar cheese
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- 9×13 baking dish
What temperature to bake chicken?
This recipe calls for baked chicken. There are lots of ways to do this – but the biggest thing is making sure no matter what method you use, you need to make sure it’s cooked all the way through. You can do at a high temperature for a shorter amount of time or a lower temperature for a longer time.
Here is a rough guideline (though it will depend on how big of chicken breasts you use):
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes
- Bake at 400 degrees for 22-26 minutes
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes
How long to bake chicken
How long to bake chicken depends on the temperature you use and how big the chicken breasts are. As I mentioned, you can bake low and slow or high and short.
Chicken Casserole Ideas
If you love this easy Southwest Chicken Bake recipe, you’re going to love these other chicken casserole ideas. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
It’s sort of a cross between nachos and a chicken bake. I love the cheese and the crunch. One of the things my kids love is adding toppings to it. One kid likes sour cream, another doesn’t. They can put whatever they want on top of it.
Southwest Chicken Bake Recipe
If you love this Southwest Chicken Bake recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH 30days!
Southwest Chicken Bake
- 3-4 chicken breasts cooked and diced
- 1 c Salsa use recipe below or pre-made
- 1 c sour cream
- 2 c cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 c tortilla chips crushed
- 28 oz diced tomatoes (can)
- 4 oz green chiles diced
- 15.25 oz corn (can) drained
- 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 c onion chopped
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Mix chicken, salsa and sour cream.
- Spread layer of chicken mix on bottom.
- Sprinkle with 1 c. of crushed tortilla chips.
- Sprinkle with 1 c. of shredded cheese.
- Repeat one more time.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 mins or until cheese is bubbly.