Twice Baked Potatoes – the ultimate comfort appetizer with mashed potatoes, cheese, bacon and sour cream. It’s all of the best things about baked potatoes!
How to make twice baked potatoes
Though this recipe is easy, it does take a bit of time so plan ahead to get all of the steps in.
- After gathering your ingredients, the first step is to bake potatoes. To cut the time significantly, try air fryer baked potatoes.
- Once potatoes are baked, cut them in half, scoop out the meat of the potato and set the shell of the potato aside.
- Try hard not to eat this mix at this point. It’s tempting because it’s so dang good!
- Using an electric mixer, mash the ingredients on medium speed until smooth and ready to fill the potato shells
- Sprinkle with cheese, bacon and bake the potatoes again. They will come out all cheesy and golden brown, like so:
Can these potatoes be made ahead?
Some of my favorite recipes can be made ahead of time. This is especially important when you are trying to time out a meal. For this recipe, you can definitely make them ahead by following these tips:
- Fill the potatoes with mix and put into a baking dish.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Remove plastic wrap and stick in pre-heated oven.
If you have leftover potatoes that you want to reheat, my favorite way is in the air fryer. It takes no time and crisps them right up! The air fryer is the best for reheating all kinds of leftovers.
Other Potato Recipes:
If you are as obsessed with potatoes as I am, you will love these recipes too:
- Best Scalloped Potatoes Ever
- Oven Roasted Red Potatoes
- Garlic Mashed Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
- Classic Potato Salad
- Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup
Twice Baked Potato Recipe
Love this recipe? Please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Twice Baked Potatoes
- 6 potatoes
- 1 c sour cream
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 TBSP chives
- 4 TBSP butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 c cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Scrub potatoes and pierce with fork, Cover with aluminum foil and place in the center of the oven.
- Bake until tender (about 75 minutes). OR bake in air fryer.
- Remove potatoes from oven. Remove the tin foil and slice each potato in half lengthwise.
- Scoop the meat from the potato into a large mixing bowl, leaving the potato skin shells in tact.
- Place the potato skin shells on a baking sheet.
- Change the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the sour cream, cream cheese, salt, pepper, chives, and butter to the potatoes in the large mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Scoop the potato mixture into each of the potato skins.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake the potatoes for 15-20 mins until the potatoes are warm and cheese is melted.